help on Windows !?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by shocksl, Jan 31, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

A few questions to those in the know:

I here alot of people revising server 2008r. Now how is this different to Win 7? etc

Secondly in terms of comman lines in Windows. Is there a set structure it works in. i.e file location/ file name/ action? etc

i will rep anybody who can offer a suggestion as i always do :)

thanksss :)

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Server 2008 r2 is basically a windows operating system for servers. It looks very similiar to Windows 7, with near about the same file structure.

Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP - are CLIENT machines. You use them on a 1 per user, whereas a Server provides a service to all the computers on the network. Such as:

- File Server (stores files),
    - Print Server (holds and designates printers and jobs),
    - Domain Controller (the register of users/computers in your company),
    - DNS,
    - Antivirus,
    - Blackberry Enterprise Server
    - and many many more.

Hope that helps 8)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think you meant 2K8 is very similar to windows 7.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
    Boffy likes this.
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Microsoft now (and has done so for some time) tend to work with 'Families' of products.
    This ensures Client-Server 'duality' where functions & usage are a common factor, thus:

Windows 2000 Professional (Client) <=> Server 2000 (Server)
    Windows XP Professional (Client) <=> Server 2003 (Server)
    Windows Vista Business (Client) <=> Server 2008 (Server)
    Windows 7 Professional (Client) <=> Server 2008 R2 (Server)*

[Remember that Win7 was a 'tweak' of Vista & therefore 2008 R2 was a 'tweak' of Server 2008].

This helps with support and administration as functionality is similar/relies on having the Client-Server partner products. (Although, there is nothing to stop a 'mix-and-match' approach "Using Win7 client with Server 2003", you will just have a 'mixed' user experience with some additional functionality being disabled).

HTH - sorry but I'm unsure as to the 2nd part of your question about "common lines...". Would you like to explain further?

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Ah, I think I understand the second part.
    Do you mean is there a set path to command line executables?

Yes and no.
    There are several paths set in your %PATH% variable. Type echo %path% at the command line and you'll see what paths are set on your computer.
    When you type a command (say, for example, appwiz.cpl) into the run box or the command line windows searches all the directories in the %path% variable (I assume it also does the present working directory as well and it would do that first, then the rest in order specified).
    So, you mostly don't have to type in a full path for command line applications.

*Most of the common commands you would run are in C:\Windows\System32, such as cmd.exe, ipconfig.exe etc etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job