Help on Self Learning A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by brew86uk, Jul 13, 2011.

1. brew86uk

brew86uk New Member

Hi there i been thinking about doing the Comp A+ for sometime now and what puts me off is the reading of the books
    They are far 2 long and i can see myself getting very bored of them and i really want to do this so bad is there a way to learn using Cd roms etc ?

2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Nework+, Microsoft Certification Training
    He has training videos there covering the whole book for free, but id recommend reading the book too. It shouldnt take you too long really.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Helen.

Helen. Bit Poster

I shouldn't think you would need to read the WHOLE book. A fair chunk of it is stuff that people would generally know if they are pretty savvy anyway. I went through a few books back to front, and just skipped the parts I definitely knew.

Some of it was pretty tough, and you probably will need to have a good read through some chapters a few times. I found the practice exams helped A LOT. I didn't think I would pass, but I did :)

Good luck with your A+ !

Helen

The certblaster practice exams are very good too, as well as the training videos mentioned above.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: MCTS/MCITP
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

How did you know that you knew them if you skipped them? :biggrin

Certifications such as the A+ are designed to validate a certain level of understanding. You should really try to make sure that you cover everything. You might not actually need it all to pass the exam, but you may need it one day. Just trying to pass the exam with minimum effort isn't really doing any of you any favours.

@OP - if you don't like trawling through vast amounts of dull and technical documentation, you might want to think again about IT. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Helen.

Helen. Bit Poster

Haha, not literally 'skipped.' Read over but skimmed. Like the customer stuff, that's pretty much common sense. And other bits and bobs. I just concentrated more on the bits I didn't know much on. I did say I read the books 'back to front.' :tongue Well, I passed :)

6. Helen.

Helen. Bit Poster

Also, I said some of it is stuff that someone who is pretty savvy would know anyway.. Why spend study time going over stuff you already know? I wasn't going through with minimum effort, simlpy concentrating on the stuff I needed to concentrate more on :)

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's certainly true - I wasn't having a pop at you in particular there.
    It's just we get an awful lot of 'what's the easiest way' and 'what's the quickest way' sorts of things going on sometimes. It gets a bit frustrating when you have worked and studied for years to get somewhere and then find other people want to get there 'quickly'.

I'm not actually having a pop at anyone in particular, just the ethos in general. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. brew86uk

brew86uk New Member

Thx for the help guys what's the best book to get for the A+ ???

9. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Mike meyers book without a doubt!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation