Help needed

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by pc_dan, Feb 8, 2006.

1. pc_dan

pc_dan New Member

7i Hi I need help in deciding which home study course to take as i looked at a few im interested in the comptia A+ courses & been looking At the btec award course
    now i've applied to affordable training who say they can do me all five comptia courses for £300 & the btec is £300 with a pc deluxe kit so i get the hands on experience. though i have 4 years self taught hands on experience building & upgrading computers.but would like to gain a career in the it business repairing pcs as i enjoy doing this work. but affordable training are telling me that insurance companies wont touch me with the btec award.yet my local college is doing btec certification on all there computer courses so does that mean people doing degrees in the btec at college are wasting there time according to affordable training.now im just plain confused and if anyone has done a btec online course please give me some advice if its worth me doing that one
    Thanks
    P.S sorry if i posted in the wrong place

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi pc_dan.

personally I would go for the CompTia A+ and self study it. Buy the Mike Myres all in one book and save your money!!!

The A+ is globally recognised. Btec is a UK thing. You never know when you might want your qualifications to be recognised somewhere else on the globe. For example my five years worth of City & Guilds electronics qualifications don't mean a jot here. I would have to go back to college to be qualified to put a mains plug on.

Most IT companies dealing with PC repairs would look for A+

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. pc_dan

pc_dan New Member

thanks for the advice bluerinse deeply appreciated m8

4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Hi Dan.

The All in One book by Mike Meyers is an excellent study aid and coupled with your experience will make the A+ the choice to take I feel.The book prettymuch covers the criteria laid down by CompTia A+ objectives,with very few exceptions,plus the wealth of information and advice from CF will fill in any 'gaps' in your training.Get the objectives from CompTia's website.

I'm using the All in One 5th Edition as my main source of A+ study and have been lucky enough to be given some CBT training videos to compliment the training.Also,get yourself an old PC if you can,dual boot with 9x and W2K OS's and get your hands 'dirty',so to speak.

In All the training material has cost me under £50 and is purely self teach.

Good luck with whatever course you decide to take.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. pc_dan

pc_dan New Member

Thanks for The Kind Advice Guys You Will Be Happy To Know I Listened To Your Advice & Have Enrolled On Line For My A+ Course Which I Have Been Doing For The past 2 Weeks
    Thanks Again 2 U Both For The Helping Hand In Which Direction I Should Go In

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck pc_dan, I am sure you will do well mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

pc_dan all those taining companies are interested in is the colour of your green. They'll promise a job in the white house to any monkey who can do it :joker

Get A+, N+ all doable with books.

You've landed at a good place, stay here and you won't go far wrong.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good luck to you - and go get that A+! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello

I would have to agree with the others, buy Meyers book A+
    I bought mine from Amazon and it comes with a CD rom with Practice questions on for the A+ exam. it's a wise investment!

Good luck!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+