Help Needed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Come_On_You_Irons, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Come_On_You_Irons

Come_On_You_Irons Bit Poster

Hi all, I am currently studying A+ and then hope to go onto Network+. I am then hoping to move into a career in IT, but I have just seen a job advertised locally for helpdesk support analysts, and while I dont think I have the skills currently to get the position, I did see somewhere on here(cant find it now) where a guy applied for a position not having the skills and explained why he wanted the job, and it got him an interview. I have been wanting to work in IT for years but have never bit the bullit and done anything about it until now.

Has anyone got any advice for me?, or clues as to what the HR manager would like to hear?

PS this is a great site.

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, if you know you haven't got the skills, then you can tell the hr manager that you are motivated, eager to learn, and blah. if you're in the process of getting certified, but are not completely there yet, you can still mention you're working on it, because it can show initiative and self-proficiency. there's also no shame to embellish the skills you do have a little bit, as long as you don't lie about it.
    there are several fine lines here, and going for a job that is out of your league can be a bit of a gamble. but sometimes you just have a lucky day.

3. Come_On_You_Irons

Come_On_You_Irons Bit Poster

Cheers d-Faktor, you have given me a few ideas there.

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cant add anything that D hasn't already said.

Best of luck ,go for it :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'd echo that sentiment, it worked for me!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm an ex-HR manager.

What an HR manager wants to hear, and what an IT manager want to hear is completely different. You need to determine who you talking to. If both are in the room, it's a nightmare.

I'm being a bit aloof here, but an HR manager wants to hear that you are a good team player with social skills etc.
    The IT manager wants to hear that you spend your spare time reading manuals, don't have any friends and have no plans for the weekend.

If I can sum it up really briefly, you need to concentrate on what you HAVE got, and what you CAN do. Even if it means bending questions in half to give the answer you want.

Spend the interview telling them about your skills (whatever they are) rather than be trapped into answering all the questions with 'no, sorry, I can't do that yet'.

Try to avoid tired cliches such as 'willing to learn' as it implies that at this stage you know nothing.

By all means exagerate. At the end of the day you're selling a product - you. But don't lie! If you make your previous job sound a bit grander than it really was, everyone does that and it can be attributed to perception. But if you say that you can strip down an exchange server in the dark and it turns out that you can't, you could be in trouble.

And research the company!
    Nothing used to annoy me more than when I asked people why they wanted to work for us. Potentially good candidates often shoot themselves in the foot by shrugging and saying 'the pay is good' or 'you're the only one hiring'. Have a cheesy but realistic answer, it's you opportunity to flatter them...

Good luck!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

What Jonny said is, in my experience, comletely true. It's almost as he was in my last interview. :hhhmmm

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270