Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Adrian1984, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Adrian1984

Adrian1984 New Member

Hi,

I am looking at starting a carrer in IT, I am living in London have just finished working for as a manager in a pub I have been doing alot of research into training company's, and to be honest it is all a little confusing, I want to start of in 1st line support but am unsure of the best way to this and what certification I need to get there.

any advice would be fantastic,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You don't need anything, I've know alots of people that have entered the IT profession with nothing. However that doesn't mean that everyone enters that way and depending on your competition for the entry level jobs, sometimes a boost is in order.

With that we recommend doing the A+, Network+ and the MCDST, these 3 certs give the basic knowledge that a support personel should have or should to be working to.

How to get them... You can either self-study for them and book the exams yourself. Or take a course, I would say that if you do it that way, contact your local college/Uni to see if they do those courses. Alot of private training companies (not all, but alot) will promise you the world, overcharge you and left you high and dry due to the small print in the contract.

Good luck with your studies :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Adrian1984

Adrian1984 New Member

Thanks,

Any suggestions on what are the best IT requirement sites?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Requirement sites? Do you mean recruitment sites?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely this - every bit of it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

IT requirement sites? Ken just said: you don't need anything.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

What has been said, but then you do need zeal. IT is fun though. :D

Welcome and GL with the studies.

-Obie

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  8. Adrian1984

Adrian1984 New Member

sorry I ment to say recruitment companys, its been a long day!

9. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Adrian,

I agree with all the above posts, I think the most important thing is to be determined, and have a good idea of where you want to be in 3 years time. As Wagernerk has said the A+, N+ and MCDST are good entry certificates (i'm working towards my MCDST at the moment). I also think these exams can be practised by self study quite well, a lot of friends have done the A+ this way and its how i'm studying for my MCDST. Its also a lot cheaper than going through an agency.

I also think you've stopped at the right forum, the guys on here are very helpful, so your heading in the right direction.

Good luck!!!