HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by ThomasTheCrazyFool, Jun 26, 2006.

1. ThomasTheCrazyFool

ThomasTheCrazyFool Bit Poster

this is so annoying, untill about an hour ago the router i set up about a week ago has been totally fine, just out of the blue it has now stopped working!

when i first installed the router the internet kept disconnecting every 5 or so minutes, i solved this problem by turning off power management for the wireless adapter on my pc (duh)

now power management is still defo turned off for the adapter but the pc just keeps disconnecting from the internet all the time, i have to press repair on the connection, unplug/replug the adapter, connect/disconnct from the network that sort of thing and even that works only sometimes and then it only stays connected for about a minute

it is defo not a changed router setting cos i have not touched them

i can ping 127.0.0.1 but not my router (192.168.2.1) and i cant get into my router settings from my web browser (IE) if that helps

also my computer does say im still connected to the network its just i dont recieve any packets

please help me!!

ps it might seem like im offline but please still reply because ill be comin back every 5 mins or so for about a minute lol

WIP: MCP Then MCDST
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

the only thing i can think of a firewall may be blocking it, have you tried it without the firewall? assuming you have a firewall, plus what os and sp have you got on your machine?

3. ThomasTheCrazyFool

i have xp pro sp2 installed

i have no software firewall and ICF i turned off because im behind the routers firewall.

cheers

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

How are you connected to the router? Ethernet or WiFi?

If with WiFi switch that off and connect with ethernet. This will sort out whether there is a prob with the WiFi bit or with other hardware.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. ThomasTheCrazyFool

im connected by wifi but i cant connect by ethernet i dont have the cable
    cheers

6. hbroomhall

Well - thats your first job - and the cost is usualy less than a pint! :biggrin

Seriously - the best way to tackle this kind of problem is to use wire instead of wireless to eliminate large lumps of hardware from the problem.

As to why WiFi suddenly doesn't work - there are all sorts of reasons, but the most common one is interference. A very popular source of interference is a video-sender. These tend to obliterate WiFi over a surprisingly wide area.

Harry.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Harry, what is a video-sender? :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It sends a video signal (eg. from a cable box) to a remote receiver. So I can hook one up to my Sky box in the living room and watch whatever is showing on it on the TV in my bedroom. Some of them act as remote control senders as well.

The problem is, they tend to operate at 2.4GHz like everything else. I think you can get some that operate at 5GHz however.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

A video sender is a little device. The sender connects to your Sky, Freeview, DVD player and transmits a infra-red signal to the recieved connected to the reciever which can be connected anyway in your house along another tv, what ever channel the sender is on, the reciever will recieve...

10. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

You could try logging in to the admin panel o the router and changing the wireless channel. AFAIK there are 13 available so move it to one at least 1 channel gap away.

Ie if your on 11 move to 9 or 13.

Bluetooth also interferes with wireless signals as do microwaves. Lower channel numbers can be better in most cases.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  11. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

ThomasTheCrazyFool,

Do you know if any of your next door neighbors have decided to setup a wireless router/access point of their own?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  12. hbroomhall

<Cough> - It is actualy radio rather than infra-red (different wavelength), and most in the UK sit on the same public band as WiFi. Hence the problem.

Harry.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks for all the explanations guys. Might have to get me one of dem new fandangled video transmitter whatsits 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. ChrisH

ChrisH Nibble Poster

I have a Belkin Wireless G router and have similar problems. My router is within 5 meters direct line but with a concrete floor in the path. My signal shows as very good one minute then just disappears however I do still have a connection from the hard-wired computers. I searched on Google and found it was a common problem with this particular router with no real solution, other people report no problems at all.

Thought I'd mention this just in case its a Belkin router in question.

WIP: A+
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I can only *echo* what has been said. When you refresh your wireless networks does XP pick up any other points?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT