Help me out please =]

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Special Brew, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hey everyone,

I've been reading up on getting my foot in the door of IT.
    Altough i have no qualifications nor work in the work place.

Here is my plan, although i'd like an outsiders perspective.

I will contact employers and offer my service free of charge, for exchange in some experience and a nice reference.

Work for a short period and ask for a paid job, or look for another job and use the reference of the voluntary job.

I know having certs etc will help dramatically.. I really cannot afford anything because i'm unemployed.

I will in the future sit the some certs, but until then, i have no qualifications at all.
    (i am reading the mike Meyers A+ book as we speak though)

Anyways, let's say, I got a voluntary job.. I'm worried i will come across problems i wouldn't know how to fix?
    Then, i'd be there to fix computers for them and yet, i'd be stuck and not being able to actually fix it..

I've never been to college, never been taught anything.. Google and any other online forums is where i find the answers to problems i have. Which stays in my head lol.

Thanks for reading.

Special Brew!

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you're looking for a voluntary job try contacting charities. I volunteer for a local charity at the moment (in fact I'm the only tech available to go on site for the foreseeable future) and I got the role on a local charity network site. There's probably a similar network in your area.
    Don't worry about not being able to fix everything, they're not going to let you loose on your own. There will always be someone more experienced to pass the problem on to if you can't resolve it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Special Brew

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it very much.

I think i lack at confidence because i only ever fix my computers and my familys. I've actually got the word around and have a laptop to fix as we speak.

Oh, that's great what you're doing, Could you pass a few websites for me, as an example? =]

I think, once i start in the work place, whether it is paid or not paid work, i'd get much better confidence..

Could i ask what is the most common tasks to do?

Thanks in advance

Special Brew!

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I suppose it depends of what skills and abilities you have.
    Even if you're working for free, you'll have to be of some use around the place.

But it's a good place to start, and it keeps the job centre happy!

Better lay off the special brew though. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Special Brew

Well, it's kind of strange, i lack in confidence but I like to think i know quite alot, but i don't really know what they would expect in the job ?

What is the most common tasks to fulfil in a day ?

Special Brew was a drink my dad used to enjoy, A little too strong for me lol !!

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it!!

Special Brew!! :p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, the thing is, when you surround yourself with all things IT and mix with people with similar interests, it's natural to feel a bit daunted by your own level of knowledge and ability.

You tend to forget that there are normal people out there to whom turning something off then back on again is nothing short of sourcery. Gets me every time.

The last place I worked the IT guy was actually the security guard. :rolleyes:
    Like so many smallish places, they subcontracted all their IT stuff out to some other company but didn't want to pay callout fees every time a bit of paper got stuck in the printer. So he was there at the right time and showed some interest and moderate aptitude, so within a few months he was 'the IT guy'. And the security guard.

So it's a way to get started, but if you can't fix something then you can't fix it. It would still be broken if you hadn't been there and nobody else would have been able to fix it either.

Special Brew is my little treat, but I try not to have one before lunch...
    Err - I was referring to the drink then, not you. Just realised how that sounded. :oops:

7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

That's some wise words JonnyMX, repped! :thumbleft

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think you are missing out on an opportunity then! As far as I am aware quite a few colleges will let you do courses for free (or for virtually nothing).

Also it may we worth checking out what Learndirect have to offer as their training courses are free if you are unemployed.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Special Brew

Great reply, thank you very much. i gave you rep, never knew how before but managed to figure it out lol.

I feel alot better and have much more confidence now.

''Special Brew is my little treat, but I try not to have one before lunch...
    Err - I was referring to the drink then, not you. Just realised how that sounded.''

hahahaha! :P

Special brew!

10. Special Brew

I have looked into college's.. they still charge quite a bit near me, being unemployed i can't afford it.
    I've been in contact with learn direct, the A+ was taking off their courses, dunno why though. So nothing on there except some stupid things like very basic etc.

Thanks though, i will look on nearest college again to see if they can offer me anything, cheap or atleast a way to pay it off.

thanks !!

Speciail Brew!

11. Londino

Londino Bit Poster

The words "voluntary" & "job" don't go along in the same sentence. A job pays you for your services, whereas a voluntary position does not!

Speaking of which... There's a difference between offering your services for free and volunteering. It's perfectly fine if you volunteer for a few hours per week but be extra careful not to end up working full-time for nothing!! This can be both immoral AND unethical, let alone illegal!

My 2 cents...

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  12. Special Brew

Cheers for the reply, I may be many things but i'm not dumb.

Obviously i wouldn't work full time for free.. Considering i said a small amount of time, and i'm on job seekers which means i can only work 16hours per week.

Thanks,

Special Brew

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No, it just depends on what definition of 'job' you use.
    You're confusing it with 'paid employment'.

But that's not really the issue here, is it.

14. Special Brew

Thanks for your understanding..

Some people on forums tend to find something to criticize about instead of giving advice.

Luckily, most people on this website, have enough patience to give unlimited amount of advice!!

Fair play to those!

Special Brew.