Help me choose any one:-MCDBA,Oracle,SQL,CCNA,MCSE,MCSA?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by zakzapakzak5, Aug 12, 2008.

1. zakzapakzak5

zakzapakzak5 Bit Poster

Hello Friends.

Though I am not new to this forum.I am posting this new thread after long gap.Sorry for the gap!

The reason is i m not able to decide which IT field should i consider taking as a career?

I have done B.E(IT) in 2006 and i am currently working as web programmer since last 1 year.

During my B.E degree i have learned many basics things like programing language,computer networking & its

security,RDBMS,Unix etc.

But as i am working as web programmer I am not able to code as expected as i am not liking it at all.

So i have finally thought of shifting the current job to something else but within IT field itself.

I posted similar question few months back and most of the members told me to start with A+ and N+.

Well i have started studying A+ but i m not in the mood of getting the A+ certification soon.Instead i want to

use the same money to get some other higher certification.So could somebody help me choose the right one?

1.Which career and certificates should i take if i dont prefer coding,visualization,designing,analysing or job

where i need to have subtle knowledge about many things?

2.I am thinking about either Network Administration,System Administration or DBA job.Is these job suitable in

my case?What are their basic roles?What should i do in these job?

3.If yes shall i go for CCNA,MCDBA,MCSA,MCSE or Oracle 11g.

4.I am not looking for lucrative job or positions.I just want to have some easy going job(i dont mind working

for long hours as long as its not eating my head) and job that has good future and has major chance of

getting recruited even though with average payment.

I prefer doing installing or configuring server or software.Creating data backup,creating and maintaining

users,security,managing software or servers,technical support etc something that is GUI type.

So could anyone help me how should i approach this and in which order?

I would be more than greatly if i could some advice from the members.

Finally Sorry for the long explanation and questions.Plz dont mind it.

Thanks.

zak.

2. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

to be honest I would stick to the A+ & N+, then possibly working on to the MCDST then onto MCSA and beyond.

While it would look nice to have a "Higher" certification it would do you no justice at all.

Do you have any experience as in a business enviroment??

If not for starter IT jobs the a+ N+ MCDST would be more than sufficient.

That and you kind of answered your own question:

"I prefer doing installing or configuring server or software.Creating data backup,creating and maintaining
    users,security,managing software or servers,technical support etc"

I would suggest perceviering with the A+ route that you are allready on :)

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Without the experience to go with the higher professional certifications (eg the MCSE, CCNP, etc) I would strongly recommend doing more academic qualifications. The higher IT Professional certifications should reflect your job role and responsibilities and should not be used entry level certs, hence the devaluing of them (along wih braindumping)...

A career out of IT, even helpdesk level jobs require some level of analysing.

I'm sorry but if your thinking about those role and don't want anything (or do not prefer) the above that you've mentioned, I can't see a future for you in IT.

No, like I said before the higher end professional certifications should reflect your job role and responsibilities, that one of the reasons why Microsoft has changed their certification program and why Cisco certs have to be renewed every 3 years. And besides again the MCDBA and MCSE certs have elements of design and analysing aspects to it. Also you will have to know and learn alot of these certs (which is the last point you didn't want to do).

Start from the bottom, no company will hand over their servers and network infrastructure to you straight away. According to you, you have been doing web development, while that is an IT role, it is in a different area of IT and you have alot to learn. Good that you have your degree, but like alot of others you will find that academic knowledge, while great is slightly different from real world knowledge. And to tell the truth the way Server OS's are going you will have to learn powershell (a non-GUI way of administering).

The whole reason why we (experience IT professionals) say do the A+ & Network+ certs first (if you're going down the technical support route) is because both these certifications will give the you the basics that you need to progress. I can tell you from experience that the Network+ will actually help you with the 70-290 (server) exam and the 70-291 (network) exam. If you have the A+ and Network+ certs, those two will count as an elective for the MCSA.

I do not wish to dis-hearten you but the things that you don't prefer doing, actually relate to almost every IT role (in varying degrees) that you've mentioned.

Hope this helps in someway...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ken's advice is absolutely solid... I agree without hesitation.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. zakzapakzak5

zakzapakzak5 Bit Poster

Thanks to Hades,Wagnerk and BosonMichael for the advices.

Its little completed and i am in lots of confusion.
    Well Its been almost 2 years that i have completed my B.E(IT) degree.And now i am also thinking about doing my Masters in(IT) next year.Unfortunately I dont have exposer to real world working in networking or DBA field.So i dont know where should i start my job after the completion of graduation.I think starting as Entry level PC technician would be insulting to my degree.I dont know how is A+ is related to DBA or Network Admin job?

In my location,I visited to many computer institutions where they teach and provide different certification exams.To my surprise everyone advised me not to take A+ and N+ and instead take CCNA,MCSE,MCDBA,Oracle etc.The reason:-

1.I am B.E graduate and i should not go for lower certification.Its waste of money.
    2.There are not many students who prefer to study and take A+,N+ exams.Only High school passed out would only take these exams.

Incidently,many gradaute like me have taken MCSE,MCSA,CCNA certification before A+,N+ and some
    of them have also landed into Network Administration job in local Banks or private company but not in IT company.

There are few good computer institutions who gives you class room training on CCNA and Oracle.

One of my friend got chance to learn CCNA from their teachers and he told me they are teaching everything from basics.
    They are helping students even who doesnot have prior knowledge of Networking to learn and play with
    Cisco devices and administration.Now is this the good way of getting real world working experience rather than studying CCNA theory at home and giving the CCNA exam instead?

Like i mentioned earlier i dont prefer programing or designing job in IT.Rest are fine.

Sorry for asking this question even though many members here have already suggested me to pursue A+ and N+ instead.I dont know what to do?

I am in 2 minded.Could anyone suggest me professionally?

Thanks.

zak.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on passing your degree, if you do think about doing your Masters, have you thought about a graduate training scheme afterwards, or even see if you can get on one now? It's a scheme where they fast track you through the different levels to where the company see's you.

Hence why we're advising you to do the lower end professional certifications, like the A+ & Network+. An entry level PC technician is not an insult to your degree, not getting a job in the IT field is the insult. The A+ is not related to the DBA role, the A+ is related to the technician's role.

They would do that as, I'm sorry to say, they'll make more money out of you. The A+ and the Network+ are qualifications that you can self-study and then all you have to do is take the exams at a Prometric or Vue centre. The training companies can see this and can take this loss of earnings.

That is not right, I have my Degree in Computing as well as alot of other people and we all find the A+ & Network+ vey useful and beneficial. In fact if you actually think about it the degree is actually higher than practically every Professional Certification out there (see my previous post here & Edexcel's website here). The Degree (BSc/BA) sits at level 6 while the MCSE only sits at level 4. So by the Training companies own logic, you shouldn't be doing any of those certs! However in reality you should* (*depending on the work environment and yourself)

That is not true, at Dell (one of the largest PC manufacturer's) their gold support team are required to have the Comptia A+ certification. While there are High Schools (in the UK they are secondary schools) that do offer the A+ & Network+ as an option, it is not only for them.

Yes, and there are alot more who haven't (since I gained my degree less than 50% of my classmates have actually gotten into the IT field). The name of the game is to get you in IT and not put you down as a statistic who doesn't get you into the IT field. Do not worry about not working for an IT company, it's the IT field you have to get into. IT is one of the industries that really has no borders.

Yes I agree, I work for one part-time (in the evenings)

Then that is not just a CCNA course, that would, imo, incorporate the Network+ or at least parts of it.

No, real world experience is just that. Experience gained from the real working world, nothing can replace that. However you'll have the chance to interact with the equipment that may be to expensive to buy yourself, as well as have access to tutors and other students.

So have you changed your mind about what you prefer, as you listed alot more on your previous post:

That's a good step :)

At the end of the day, we can only advise you from our experiences and knowledge. It's up to you if you want to take that advice or not.

And as for advising professionally, the advice I give is from my experience as an IT manager (who also sits on interview panels), a writer/columist for an international magazine and a part-time IT lecturer who does Professional IT courses like the MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, etc...

Like I said we can only advise you from our experiences and knowledge, so everyones advice may be a little different, some people will agree with me, some will not, some only partially.

I just hope that you decide what route to follow and hope that route takes you to your choosen path.

Now the first decision, you have to make and only you can make is which area of IT do you want to work in. If you do not make that decision first you could end up wasting alot of money and time...

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009