Help me build network simulation (ISP + Home)

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zr79, Feb 23, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I am trying to build a network including the ISP side(DHCP, DNS and File servers) and a home LAN with 2 PCs on it and obviously the internet inbetween. In packet tracer DHCP doesn't work until you have set up a DHCP server, obvioulsy, now in my simulation i want the PCs to get assigned an IP from the ISPs DHCP server etc.... as it would happen in real life. So far i have the home LAN PCs both manually assigned IPs at the moment though that would change to being assigned IP from the ISP DHCPs server once i have the whole thing set up. So,

a) Does what i have done look anything like a real life situation can you improve on my harware setup i have it pretty basic
    b) If so can you help me fill in the missing IPs (ISP side and home FE 0/0 IP etc..)

[​IMG]

thanks

Certifications: A+
  2. Septima77

Septima77 Nibble Poster

I doubt if it is wise to assign an IP address from a DHCP server over a WAN link.
    If the WAN link goes down you will have a serious problem.

Why not set up from your local router or switch?

Certifications: CCNA CCNAS CCNAV
    WIP: CCVP
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Despite it being often (mistakenly) stated - customers on ADSL don't get their IP address via DHCP.

The immediate mechanism is via PPP.

DHCP *may* be used to prime the PPP, or more usually it is driven from RADIUS via various schemes.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

nobody else?

I want as acurate a WAN/LAN/ISP network diagram as i can make...

Certifications: A+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This is where experience is vital... and why the Cisco exams shouldn't be tackled by people who haven't yet worked with Cisco gear. I know that's not the answer you want to hear... but it's the truth you need to hear.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!