Help.....I haven't a clue!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mo_flo, Jun 13, 2009.

1. mo_flo

mo_flo New Member

Hi,
    I have just purchased a Sony Vaio PCG-GRX516MD. It had only been used a couple of times and had been sitting in it's box for 4 years. The thing is immaculate but when I got it home tonight I realised that I can't connect to the internet. It isn't wireless enabled which isn't really a problem as I usually plug my laptop straight into the modem but the jack thingy (:D told you I didn't have a clue :D)doesn't fit into the laptop. Can someone please advise me on what I need to do to get connected.

Thank you

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi, welcome to the forum. Not a bad laptop in its day. I go for Vaio's every time. What modem are you using?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. mo_flo

mo_flo New Member

Hiya,

Well, I'm using the netgear router that I got with my Sky Broadband and plug it directly into my laptop using a yellow cable (lol I must sound so dumb). The end of the cable doesn't fit into the vaio.
    I bought the laptop today for £100. As I said before, the thing is immaculate and barely used. I seen it working but didn't think to see if it connected to the internet. Hope my £100 isn't down the drain.

:(

4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

No no not at all, we've all got to start somewhere. The only thing I can think of is your laptop doesn't have a LAN port built into it although I'd of thought it would have. Easiest solution would probably be to just buy a cheep wireless dongle off ebay for a tenner

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, get the USB network adapter or a USB wireless adapter for your laptop.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

According to the spec here it does have a network port.

It sounds like you're trying to plug the network cable (RJ45) into the modem port (RJ11) so whatever you do, DON'T FORCE IT !

Check carefully around the laptop, the correct port should be there. Did you get any user manual with it that has a diagram of the laptop on it ? That would show you where the port is located.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup it does sound that way.

There may be a RJ45 port on the laptop but their may be a cover over it. Check the laptop documentation just to be sure as already said.

To get the wireless setup I would go for a USB wirless adapter which is the same brand as the router.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/60014

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. mo_flo

mo_flo New Member

Hi again,

I found it! :D
    Everything is under cover on this (I'm on it now....how chuffed am I!)

I have some more issues though and would be happy with any help:

I was trying to install i-tunes and it tells me "this installation cannot be installed by the windows installer service. You must install a windows service pack that contains a newer version of the windows installer service" :confused3

Also, when I put in my memory stick it tells me that there are no hi-speed usb ports on computer.

Thanks again.

9. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

You need to install all the latest updates for Windows so that everything works correctly and is secure.

Visit: http://update.microsoft.com/

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Get windows updated as soon as possible and after it's initial update it's will no doubt suggest that you need SP3 (assuming you are on XP). Once it's all nice and patched up you should be able to run iTunes ok.

As for the USB issue, it could be that your laptop is old enough to only support USB 1 in which case any devices which are high speed (USB 2) may complain a little when you use them. Won't stop them from working though,

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. mo_flo

mo_flo New Member

Thanks so much to everyone for their help. It seems everything is running fine now....touch wood, hairy wood!:D:D:D