HELP! - Follow up after follow up of interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rockets34Life, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

Story: Interview was on 7/26. The director who I interviewed with told me it will take 2 weeks to make the decision. I called last Thursday to find out the status of his decision on his cell phone (that's what he had called me on originally for the interview). He seemed to be positive when I called him. I asked him if I'm still a candidate for the position and he said yes. So I didn't get a yea or nay. He told me he would let me know of the decision last Friday or yesterday.

As of right now, I still haven't heard anything. My emotions have changed from anxiousness of getting the job to just wanting to know what the decision is so I can move on.

I'm wanting to call tomorrow to find out what the decision is, but when do I call - morning, lunchtime, afternoon, or after work (5pm)? How should I ask about the decision?

Thanks in advance.

2. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

I would suggest just call and ask, unfortunatly i would say it is highly unlikely you would have got the position due to the length of time - but you deserve an answer and some feedback so just pester them a little.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hate to be a bummer, but jm1 is probably right. The usual scenario is that an offer is made to the person they want to hire and that person has to accept it before the "sorry, you didn't make it" notices are sent out. It could be days or even weeks before you hear back. I once got a badly photo copied form letter with my name scrawled in as a rejection notice (that poor a response doesn't happen too often).

It's not official until you hear back from them, but start applying for other jobs. Don't wait for any one job, even if it looks like a good fit and you think they'll make the offer. You never know.

I hate rejection. I've not been hired for a lot of jobs. It's depressing, but it's also reality. Time to move on. Apply for other jobs.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Ive had two jobs where they have taken more than 3 weeks to get back to me, one of which i had started another job which i had had the interview for a week later than the first and have been working for 5 days with. The other i had just got onto a train to go for another inteview when i got offerd the job i had been holding on for.

Ive also been offerd jobs on the spot and then a week or two later things go pair shaped.

You just dont know. Best of Luck though!

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  5. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

Well, the wait was killing me inside! So I broke down and called yesterday afternoon. He told me they had someone on their staff out today and there's been a lot going on this week. I told him I thought I had missed a call from him on Friday or Monday (an excuse to throw out for the call). I also apologized for bugging him about the decision. He said it was alright and told me they will come to a final decision this afternoon. The call was made 3 1/2 hours ago.....still haven't heard anything yet.

Since I made the call, I'm just going to play the waiting game a little longer since he still considers me a candidate for the position. It's just odd for a decision like this to last this long....

At least I didn't get "I'm sorry, we have filled the position" or "I'm sorry, we have gone with someone else for the position". :)

When I got home yesterday, I started to feel the notion that I didn't get the position and that I had to convince myself to move on. Hopefully a better position will come along and save me from drowning in this current job.

I want to call on Friday, but I'll feel like screaming at the guy for stringing me along all this time for no reason.

We'll see if I can muster up one more call in me for Friday to see if I got it.

6. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Good luck mate! Seriously though there are plenty of jobs out there, don't put all your eggs in one basket. If you get it, great, if not, it wasn't meant to be so go and find a better job. There is no limit to what you can achieve, just remain positive and focused and you will land a great job in time.

I hope you do get this job, and just for the record, i've been offered jobs where they've replied to me instantly, and had to wait weeks for a decision (even 1 month+). It's just what's going on with the company, are they busy sorting out things? Do they have other priorities? etc so don't worry about the wait.

Good luck, let us now how you get on!

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You can't see things from the prospective employer's point of view. It's not like hiring for this position is the only thing they've got going on. It is a business and they've got other tasks to perform. While this job may be the center of your universe right now, it's probably not theirs. Chill.

wagnerk likes this.
  8. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

This I understand. It's just this job seemed to be right at the time. Now I'm feeling it's falling out of my grasp, so you're right, I'm starting to move on.....til' I get a call saying from them I got it. :)

It might be easy for you to say chill and I understand they are running a business, but you're not in my shoes.

This position fits most of the criteria I'm looking for in a job:

- close to the house
    - option to work an earlier shift
    - healthcare field (positive point)
    - still waiting on $, but I'm guessing it will be right around what I currently make

I felt I did well in the interview and I even got to hang out with the staff for an hour, asking them questions and getting to know them.

I walked out of there thinking I got the job. He told me it would be a 2 week decision....I've waited patiently for 2 weeks and now it's past 2 weeks with still no decision.

With a job that I go to everyday that makes me feel dumber and dumber, I guess I threw all my chips into this job thinking I can leave my current dump scott-free. But I'm starting to come to a realization that I didn't get it with all the delays.

If I get a call from them saying I got it, great. If not, then I might be down for a few hours, but I'll pick myself up and move on. But at least have the courtesy to send an email, mail something, or someone from the hospital give me a call saying I didn't get it.

And I have continued to apply for other jobs while waiting for this one, so I haven't thrown all my chips on the table.... :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'm not trying to be insensitive. I've been in your position more times than you might imagine. I'm saying all this out of my own experience and knowing just how easy it is to get wound up over the possibility of getting hired for a job. The anxiety can also just about ruin each day of waiting and, if you don't get the offer, make the let down that much more difficult to manage.

This why I say, don't wait. Glad to see you're applying for jobs even while this company is still in the process of making their decision. You never know what could happen and it'll give you something to do besides hover over your phone. I'm not being flip when I say "chill". Distracting yourself and relaxing a little will take the edge off and make it easier to live inside your own skin.

Like I said, I've been there many times before.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

trip, I understand where you're coming from. This was one that I thought I really had a shot. This is just the 1st time I've run into where I haven't heard yes or no and I'm still a candidate even after their decision period. :unsure

I just have to face reality and either wait for the call or just move on. So far, it's leaning toward moving on.... :(

11. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Yeah I can imagine that when the job ticks all the boxes in what you look for in a job, it makes it even worse that you're kept waiting. Don't be so negative though, you don't know yet! Honestly you don't know what else they are doing because at the end of the day they have to run a business like someone else mentioned and i've seen it time after time where the company put the new interviewees to the side to focus on improving things before they bring in someone new.

I remember getting a job after 1 month and a half of waiting and then I'd found a better job. Same happened for one of the first jobs i went for, 1 week waiting time, they took 3 weeks to reply to me, and I had found a better job which i didn't think i would have done!

It's friday tomorrow, so hopefully they would have replied to you by then. If not, you COULD email their HR to TRY to avoid the guy you spoke to on the phone (You don't want to keep bothering him) or you COULD just wait it out, keep busy over the weekend?

What do you do at the moment mate?

12. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

I actually took your advice in the last paragraph and called the HR rep who did the 1st phone screening 3 weeks ago. He told me that according to him, the position is still open. I told him I felt like I'm bothering him when calling to follow up. He said he will inquire on my behalf to find out the status. He said he won't let the director know that I'm asking what the final decision is.

Hopefully that will speed things up to end this drama.

Currently I'm going on with my current job doing desktop administration and still searching for new establishments.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  13. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

UPDATE: Got a call back from HR saying that the position was filled. :(

He told me that they "recently interviewed someone" that was more qualified than I was and they went with that candidate.

Sucks that they just stringed me along while they wanted to see if someone can compete with my skills for the position and then screwed me over in the end. The director didn't have the balls to tell me by phone that I didn't get it....

Not sure if I should take positive news from this but HR rep said in the end of the convo that he and the director were impressed with my skills/approach that they will forward my information to a couple other managers to see if I fit on their team. The problem that comes up - location and $.

I'm not really bummed because of the no-callbacks kind of interpreted the writing on the wall. But damnit, I really wanted that position just because of the location, flexibility and the foot in the door to healthcare...... :x

14. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

Yea its out of order when companies do that its happened to all of us at one stage or another and its so frustrating the best thing to do is just dont think about it and dont look back look forward.