Help Desk Solution - Suggestions from experience

Discussion in 'Software' started by webslinger2k, Apr 19, 2007.

1. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I have been tasked at work to come up with a replacement for our current Help Desk solution - (Remedy).

We have deemed Remedy as a massive overkill for what we need, and the size of our company - and are now looking to progress onto something new.

I have outlined some requirements, which include pretty standard functions for a Help Desk app of the modern day, and I have also done a case study on varous applications gathered from various searches on the Internet.

What I am after now, is some feedback, from you guys - the IT Pro's who will have first hand experience with such solutions, and more than likely all have a favourite, and a one to avoid like the plague.

My requirements are as follows:

- Cost
    - Web Based interface
    - Email Engine/Submission
    - Change Management
    - Asset Management
    - Some for of reporting functionality

Cost is probably the biggest factor at the moment, as we are currently paying a substantial amount of money for a app which is overkill for our needs. We need to run through the motions of trying to bring this over head down.

Second biggest factor is the web bassed option, we have a multitude of contractors (on and off site) and outsourcing going on at the moment, so its crucial to our work flow that we get these guys using this app to make life easier for eveyrone...

bit of a long winded email I know, but hopefully some of you guys will have some nice suggestions for me to look into

thanks

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have two for you, but can only find 1 at the moment.

Ilient, the basic pack is free (2 admins & 99 end users), but you can then upgrade to include more admins/end-users. It is also web-based, it does have e-mail functions - not sure about e-mail submission, but users can log their call via the web interface (but if you have more than 2 admins &/or 99 end users you will have to buy extra users), it does have reporting functions and asset management (up to 50 item for free, after that you have to buy extra packs)

We currently use this, but as we have more than 99 end-users, what we do is create the departments as users.

The other one allows up to 3 admins and is also free for the base package, I'll try to find the link for them :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

We use Ilient Free as well. The interface is quite basic but i'm not going to complain about that seeing as it's free!

I have not used any other Helpdesk software so I can't help you any more than that. 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

TrackIT is quite good

http://www.numarasoftware.com/Track-It.asp

Can be run with client software or web based. Also it has built in reports that export to .pdf or .doc (etc) which are useful. You can aso customise them with Crystal reports if you have the time. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Thanks for the input guys.

Wagnerk, I shall deffo check that Ilnet out - sounds good from how you have described it - the department being listed as one user might be just the thing I could implement here thinking about it. So thanks a lot - interested to here what the second solution is.

Sparky - TrackIT was actually on my shortlist - so thats another bonus. I think I will have to have a look at their trial too and see how it fares. Thanks mate.

Keep them coming guys :)

6. Kitkatninja

TrackIT was on our shortlist, however price pushed it out (and it was one of the cheapest around at the time).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We use TrackIT. Works great!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Kitkatninja

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We use TrackIT as well. A bit overkill for our useage, but then again we used a VERY basic excel spreadsheet before :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

starting to get very drawn out now....

I have installed and mocked up a few scenarios with Ilient Sysaid - looks quite nifty. Although my superiors are concerned that if I take us down that route, i will be creating a "baby" that I will never be free from.

Another one which I have looked at is Oxygen - which to be perfectly honest, is awful from an intuitive perspective. I really dislike it.

I will give Track it and ISS all a little look at now, and try and narrow my options.

I am going to the Help Desk Show at Olympia tomorrow, which is part of InfoSec 2007, hopefully will see some interesting solutions...