Help Desk Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimoftheC, Sep 1, 2008.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Guys, got a job interview lined up and possibly another on the way.

I've been doing lots or research but thought now would be a good time to practice with help desk software. My idea is to get my hands on a free version of help desk software, install it on my PC at work and record all the problems I'm asked to fix, not just IT ones. Hoping it will give me at least some level of experience I can put across at an interview.

I've googled this and there appear to be loads of free software downloads out there, in fact, I'm downloading one as I type this called SysAidServerFree (69mb) just to get a feel of this type of software.

I was wondering whether anyone out there has gone down this route before and can recommend a free product? Same questions to those that use this type of software and know of any good free versions that I can try.

Ta

Tim.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We use ISS Helpdesk software, it's free for up to 2 tech's (unlimited users). A good few places use this, and once you get your head round the basic features of 1 helpdesk software product, it's really only the bells and whistles you have to learn when moving across the different ranges :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yeh, I did the same thing last year.
    I think this is the one I used tho' you'll have to check as they do several - one aimed at an internal helpdesk for 1 company and one aimed at multiple clients/sites for IT Support companies.

If you wnat any more info of others I looked at then send me a PM.

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/service-desk/index.html

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I use Sysaid at work, its quite good, it will do basic server monitoring as well.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Tim

Good luck with the job interview:thumbleft

Do you know what type of Help desk software they use at the place you are going for an interview??

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. TimoftheC

Thanx for the input guys, much appreciated.

Ken - had a look for the ISS software and although I was on their site, I couldn't find any helpdesk software to download. Will keep looking.

Kev - thanx for the link, will check em out if I can't get on with the one I'm trying now - SysAid.

Dave, yeah saw the server monitoring thing but this is just me using it on me desktop at work :-) The software seems ok but there's a lot in it and I've never used this type of thing before so a lot to take in. At the moment I can't work out how to add users to it. Not sure if that's allowed with the free version as a lot of things are disabled - any ideas how its done?

UCM - thanx for the good luck message. As for the software, well, the interview is with the Fire and Rescue Service so if anybody out there knows what help desk software they use and (more importantly) knows if there's any demos of the said software, please feel free to post :D

7. toadmann

toadmann New Member

We've been using the Web Help Desk software for some time now. It's free to trial and dirty cheap to by for a 2 or 3 technician shop. Well worth testing out. I hope this helps.

Toad

8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

To be honest I dont have a clue, I was under the impression it imported from Active directory so thats maybe why there is no add user. The only other option is that it is normally licensed on a per user basis, so that could be a restriction of the free version.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Spiceworks

you *really* need to check this out.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  10. TimoftheC

Your probably right Dave, I just installed it on my desktop so there is no active directory for it to work off. Looking around at other options at the mo - man they like to make this type of software complicated, is there a competition to see just how much extra functions one software firm can cram into it :rolleyes:

Hmmm, seems alright M8 but need to download it first. Trouble is I'm currently downloading the three downloads that make up the trial software for Exchange Server - only another 6 hours to go :dry Will check it out though, thanks for the recommendation.

11. TimoftheC

Yep, I like this one frotch. Seems easier to use than the others I looked at and pretty slick, although, seeing as I've never used this sort of software before and that I'm just playing with it an not using it in anger, not sure if that comment really apples coming from me :p

Anyway, thanx again for the tip

12. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi

We use Readydesk, It cost to purchase. But they have an online demo which you can mess around in. Might not be adviseable to put the work issue into it, but it is a good starting point to get a feel off the software.

Readydesk

Hope it help:)

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

^ Spam? Whilst its relevant to the thread, its still shameless advertising which, im fairly sure is against the Ts&Cs of CF. Reported - I'll leave it to the mods to decide.

Edit: Just so the post doesnt look out of place. the post i was referring to has been removed.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  15. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

ive used RightNow, Kaseya and Assyst although one of the biggest is Remedy

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640