help choosing certification

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by chrobi, Jul 16, 2011.

1. chrobi

chrobi Bit Poster

I'm currently at uni, but I don't think the knowledge I'll get is good enough especially in todays job market. I want to get into networking/security/user support.

I looked at CCNA, but since I'm at uni and have hardly any networking experience, there's no way I'll be able to do both at the same time.

I know my way around hardware, building PCs, windows, mac osx etc

What would be the best place to start & where should I go from there?

2. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

The A+ and Network+ are both seen as good foundation points for further certs. I think a lot of people on here started with those including myself.

If you choose that route, I'd recommend the 'All-in-one' books by Mike Meyers, very good resources.

Cheers!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  3. chrobi

chrobi Bit Poster

thanks

the mike meyers books don't seem to be updated for windows 7 - there even is a review where someone says their kid failed because they had some windows 7 content on the exam which wasn't covered.

What do you think about this book: CompTIA A+ Cert Guide (220-701 and 220-702) ISBN-10: 0789747901

it's on amazon, I can't seem to post links

edit: btw, on the US site it says there are 2 types of exams

220-701 or JK0-701 for CompTIA A+ Essentials
    220-702 or JK0-702 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application

I take it I can choose which one I take? I can't find any books for the JK0 exams

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

The A+ is vendor neutral, so it does not go into too much detail on specific operating systems, there may perhaps be a Windows geared question, but not one unique to 7. It sounds like the story you heard was a parnet blaming someone for their kids lack of revision?

As for the exams, you need both for A+. The Network+ however only has one exam

The jk0 exams are for specific countries if I remember rightly, its the 220's in the UK

5. chrobi

chrobi Bit Poster

cool, thanks. Hopefully it won't take me too long to get through it

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not quite, the first part of the exam code dictates what "program" it is. Eg: 220 is for the standard exam program, the JK0 is for the exams taken thru the Comptia's E2C program. There's no difference between the exams themselves just the "licencing"/"pricing" of them. Just like the Microsoft exams (071 - beta, 072 - Academy, 073 - MS academy, 070 - standard, etc...).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like the parent was blaming the book instead of their kid's lack of preparation. I assume the book covers Vista, and at the A+ level the differences between that and Windows 7 are minimal.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

Yeah I wasn't 100% on that, I knew it was 220 in virtually all cases. Thanks for the confirmation.

10. chrobi

chrobi Bit Poster

thanks

11. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

As I mentioned, its not that specific. For example, you may get a question on WINS, being a Windows system, but applies to all versions.

Ultimately, the mike myers book is recognized as one of the better books with good reason, it covers all exam objectives with the depth required to pass the exam.

Also, its worth noting that you get some non-scored questions that are not part of the objectives. So if you see a question with terms you've never heard of, don't panic! It may just be a non-scored question. :D

Cheers

12. chrobi

chrobi Bit Poster

thanks, I went for the CompTIA A+ Cert Guide (220-701 and 220-702) 2011 book, hopefully it'll be as good. Should be here on Monday

how long did you study before passing the exam?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  13. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i took mine in january and i didnt come across any windows 7 questions, as far as i know it didnt go into windows 7 in the book either it was more xp/vista

I recommend the mike meyers book and professormesser.com

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. JSH333

JSH333 Byte Poster

I sped through mine at the end of last year, A+ in 3 weeks, Network+ In 10 days and security + 16 days.

But I don't recomend you do them like that , was NOT fun. It's just I wanted to do them before the end of the year but unfortunately I have a habit of leaving everything till the last minute!

Did the same with MCDST, ah well mabe next time. :D

15. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Not fun on the pocket either!

Aside: Swindon - where in particular, I used to be over in Westlea.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  16. chrobi

chrobi Bit Poster

did any of you guys do CEH? should I consider doing it before/after security+?

17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Honestly?? get some experience under your belt first. I work in an environment where we have a lot of security people (online gambling company) and I can tell you that it's experience that counts when it comes to security work over anything else.

Don't learn to run before you can walk.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  18. 56mylar

56mylar Bit Poster

Yes, you need both of those exams to gain the A+ title, 701 and 702 in the US, they are not too difficult, since you "I know my way around hardware, building PCs, windows, mac osx etc" I think you could do well. The CCNA is much more advanced, typically individuals have either years and years of experience or several lower level certs under their belt before they go for this. You may also find this very helpful, it has tons of useful info on the A+: http://www.squidoo.com/comptia-a

19. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

No. Sec+ is a good intro to security, CEH focuses on some particular areas of security and is designed for someone with some experience in the field.