HELP! CCNA, HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by mentman, Jan 7, 2008.

1. mentman

mentman Bit Poster

Hello everybody!
    I have been looking around now for a while looking at CCNA courses on offer in and around london. I am left confused! i dont understand why some places are offering the ccna in 5 days, some in 5 weeks, some in 5 months and some places in a year ect. So whats the deal! Are the short ones just teaching you the watered down version of the ccna and the long one the full 4 modules of the course? Ive compleated ciscos IT Essentials and i work part time in the IT dept at a large school. Im 17 and really want to start my ccna.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot

Alex

Certifications: CCNA, CCENT, ITE, 642-812 BCMSN
    WIP: 642-901 BCSI
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Have you considered studying for it by yourself? Do you have any networking knowledge eg do you know the OSI model - or a little of it? If not then i suggest you look at some lower end certs first of all.

As for your question the 5 day ones are called bootcamps where you are fed braindumps and just the info needed to pass the exam. Im thinking the year long ones are the Cisco Academy Program run by colleges and universities. Im not sure on how long you need - this varies with time you have to study and practice. Im studying on my own like i have with all my certs and i can honestly tell you it might take me this whole year to do my CCNA.

Good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. mentman

mentman Bit Poster

thanks for the reply zimbo,
    what sort of lower end certs are there?

And im in contact with a college offering the Cisco Academy Program, so will that give me the ccna along with other infomation?

Alex

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you go through the first four semesters of the Netacademy, you'll become prepared to take the exam. Of course, you'll still have to sit and pass the exam before becoming CCNA certified. This, in my opinion, is the best course of action you can take if you *really* want to learn the entry-level ins and outs of managing Cisco hardware and IOS.

As far and the "5 days" and "5 weeks" crowd goes, it's not that they necessarily teach a watered down version (though some might) of the coursework but rather, they teach a very intense version with all of the information crammed into a short space of time. These courses are usually for people who already know their stuff but need to nail down key concepts to pass the exam. Avoid them if you know little or nothing about Cisco equipment.

Why is it that you're so keen on earning your CCNA at this point, Alex? Any particular motivation or do you want the cert "just for giggles"?

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. mentman

mentman Bit Poster

They offer the ccna at my local college, ive done IT Essentials, that provides "The knowledge and skills to prepare you for CompTIA A+ certification". And now i want to get into Routing & Switching and getting into the admin side of IT in large networks.
    Am i wrong in thinking the ccna is a good starting point?

7. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

It has a lot of routing and switching, not as much Admin

WIP: LIFE
  8. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

I've seen people pass quickly with some very intensive focus and others take a year or so. For me, it is the amount of quality study time and hands on time you spend and for the CCNA I would say the average person would need about 80-100 hours but it could be more if you are a novice.

The intensive courses are great if you can't get motivated to study at home but even then you will need to study in your own time.

Paul