Help and advice needed.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mcdstboy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. mcdstboy

mcdstboy New Member

Hello all :D

I need some help with making a decision about my career and what exams I should start taking and their upgrade paths.

I have not been in a IT job for over 18 months now and not been in one at all for nearly a year now. I have decided I want to get back in to IT.

Back in 2006 I got a MCDST and passed 70-270. Got the books to finish MCSE, but never did.

What is the best thing to do at this point? Should I go upgrade my MCDST with exam 70-682? Is there a deadline on upgrading this if anyone knows? Or should I, as I have the books, continue on finishing my MCSE and then upgrade that? I am unsure what the best path to take is.

Also, do you think getting these certs are worth it and will help in getting a job? I mean the plan is to apply everyday a few hours and the rest study and pass exams. My knowledge is rusty now so I need to update it if I am to stand any chance at a interview.

Even more important, is it even worth getting in to IT at this point? Are the jobs out there? Are most jobs outsourced now and are companies using the cloud more? Some jobs I see and they are like minimum pay... :eek:

I am willing to work hard and do what it takes. After reading some posts on here I think working really hard and getting the knowledge and apply nonstop there is a chance to get in yet.

What about career advancement from there on. Even after getting a job and achieving a MCSE would one go on to learn say something like citrix to move on to a better paid job?

Just to clarify, as it may come of like I am after the money, that is not the case, just want to make sure that there is career advancement. Would rather be on 20k and be happy than on 40k and be miserable at work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think the main thing to appreciate is that it isn't all about exams and certification.

There are a few certs, the MCDST being one which can be useful in gaining you an entry level position.

However, go much beyond that and you may find that a stack of certs with no experience does you no favours at all. I know it's tempting, especially if you're out of work with time on your hands.

If I had to give you any advice - firstly make sure you are committed to a career in IT. Then crack on with finding some job that will gain you experience, even if it pays p155 poor. Then concentrate on getting good at something, which will depend on your interests and the job you do. Then think about certifying in it.

I appreciate that life isn't always perfect and that sometimes we have to go down a route that isn't ideal - but only you can know what's right for you at any given moment.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. mcdstboy

mcdstboy New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply Jonny. Really appreciate your advice. What I am thinking is might as well spend the free time to gain more knowledge, while applying for jobs. This should help me perform better at interviews.

Looking forward to hearing from other members point of views/advice.

Thanks guys :)

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't forget there are other things that you can do too.
    I spent some of my 'gainfully unemployed' time doing courses with the OU.
    Learn some new stuff and boost the academic side of your CV at the same time!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD