help!!!!!! 70-270 or 70-271/2???!!!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by bobby24london, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

hi there, i have a problem, ive bought the MCDST/MCSA/MCSE courses from get me certified (techworks). as i have no relevant experience in IT the original plan was to do the MCDST (70-271/272) but the course advisor thinks it would be more beneficial if i did the 70-270 instead? he is adament that this has much greater value than the MCDST???? which would benefit me in regards to getting my first job in support. please any advice would be very helpful thanks PS ive only bought the MCSA/E courses because for the 3 of them it was £295 even though im nowhere near them yet cheers

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, you've been sold a bunch of courses that aren't relevant to your experience level. The MCDST is fine... but the MCSA and MCSE are designed for people with experience administering servers... not for people just getting into IT. In truth, those certifications won't make it easier for you to get an entry-level job, because the MCSA and MCSE don't have anything to do with entry-level IT work. You'll be WAY overcertified for your experience level... and that's not a good thing.

So... either your training provider doesn't know any better... or they DO know better and they sold the training classes to you anyway.

I would have recommended you pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST. All three are solid, entry-level certifications that will help you get your start in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Do the MCDST stuff first or you will likely be lost in the 70-270 as it is a big jump up.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Maryloveus

Maryloveus Bit Poster

I agree with Michael ,
    ANd in my opinion, just 70-270 is popular and mcse 2003 popular too.
    ANd you should choose your best.
    plz look before you leap.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Umm... if you agree with me... then why do you mention the 70-270 and MCSE on 2003? Those are the exams I just recommended that he avoid this early in his career. :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. bobby24london

bobby24london Bit Poster

cheers boys, think your right, ive had a look at 270 and im already stuck on the terms ie winne 32 etc..... think ill carry on with MCDST first then wait after 6 months ish once :in my first job then have a look at it, thanks again boys youve probably saved me a few quid in headache pills!! nice one bobby:D