HELP! 290 First Ed!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by ryanthelion84, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ryanthelion84

ryanthelion84 Nibble Poster

Hi All!!

Looking for a bit of advice...

Back in 2003 I bought the core texts for Server 2003 MCSA/MCSE (290/291/293/294) and started working through 290, however, my progress was halted by other commitments and it has not been until now that I have had the opportunity, through my current employer to devote 50% of my working week to training, hence my return to the 70-290 exam.

Problem is, my texts are 5 years old and thus are the first ed - I believe there is a second ed, now available.

Can anyone tell me how huge the differences are between these and what chance there may be of me missing vital content that might come up in am exam!?

Thanks!

Ryan H:rolleyes:

Certifications: 70-290, PRINCEII Practioner, ITIL V3F
    WIP: VMWare ESX VCP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Can't help on the exam contents, but I would have thought that the cost of a new book would be less than the wasted money if you fail the exam? :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ryanthelion84

I dont intend to fail the exam at all...I'm just trying to make sure I've got all my bases covered. If the difference between the 2 editions is minimal, then some advice from some people on here in the know is cheaper than buying a whole new box of core exam books!! :dry

4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Ryan,

I did the same as you... bought the books well before I started studying for some of the exams.

What I would say is that although there are obviously differences between R1 and R2, most of the current exams will be in the R1... just make sure you use other resources such as Technet.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. ryanthelion84

hey luddy!

thanks for the advice....so you reckon its best to work from the R1 books and then check out any R2 stuff on technet to try and bridge the gap!?

Also has anyone got any e-books, pdf's whatever that might be able to assist me!? :biggrin

ta!

Ryan

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not the end of the world, you can get additional materials from the Technet website. Also check the objectives on the MS site for each exam. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. ryanthelion84

Thanks Sparky!:)

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As long as you don't mean e-books of copyrighted material or PDFs of braindump questions. :rolleyes: If that's not what you mean, then I'm sure someone can hook you up! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!