Helooooo!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Wil T, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Wil T

Wil T New Member

Good afternoon everyone!

I'm Wil T. Thought I'd say hi. I stumbled across this great site while googling the National IT Learning Centre.

I understand there's probably hundreds of threads already so I'll get searchin' :oops: . But does anybody have any heads up on this company. I'm thinking about taking a Web Developer Course with them at some point soon.

All the best
    Wil T

:D

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) Wil T, and as am sure you already probably have gathered most of us on here are not rich so we recommend self study. All that is required on your path is buy the study material and get yourself motivated and start plugging away.

I do however, understand some people require a classroom type of environment and interaction so if that's you then go for it.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Wil T

Wil T New Member

Hey thanks onoski

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I am the type that benefits from a bit of outside motivation. And given that I don't know anybody in this industry and admittedly, nothing about it either, I feel this to be my best route for direction. Luckily I have a bit of dough saved up for such a course.

I guess my biggest problem is that being new to this world, I'm not sure weather the said company is a credible one or not?

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Wil T

Wil T New Member

Cheers NB!:D

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Give us a tenth of the money they are charging, and WE will be your outside motivation. 8)

Better yet... we'll do it for free. Bargain!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Wil T

Wil T New Member

Point taken BM!

And that's a good offer.

8. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Hi Wil

I'm afraid that I disagree with the guys above, and we always seem to have frank discussions on this, so I'm hoping we don't go there this time!!

I am with the TP you have mentioned, but not on the Web Course, I enrolled on their Technical course.

All I can say it is worth every penny spent, yes it is alot of money, but the support is brillaint, the workshops and recriutment support is also second to none.

I wouldn't be where I am today without NITLC!!!!

I am not the one for self study as I am not motivated enough. You could as mentioned go out and buy the books and Amazon seems then best place to buy them (and it will work out alot cheaper), but how long will the course take you with no direction. I was set personal achievable goals buy the tutors and I enjoed every step of the way.

OK BM & GBL, I waiting for the comeback!

9. BosonMichael

Ah, your hope is for naught. 8)

Yep! Poorer! :D

You can argue all day long that you got a better education than had you self-studied. And it very well may be true in your particular case, since you lack motivation. But you certainly end up much worse off financially, and that cannot be argued.

If you're not motivated enough to study IT on your own, you ought to seriously consider whether you ought to get into IT or not. IT is a constant learning process - the learning doesn't end when you leave the training center and get an IT job. But companies aren't going to pay for you to take an expensive training course to continue your training. So if you can't learn on your own - if you're not motivated enough to study this stuff simply because you WANT it that badly - then you'll find it difficult to make it in IT. You'll often be passed over in favor of those who ARE motivated enough to learn on their own and who truly LOVE IT.

I've seen this happen to MANY people during my IT career, as have others on this fine forum... and THAT is why I will continue to disagree with Machfisto on this issue.

As long - or as short! - as it takes you. You learn at YOUR pace. And if you want goals, ask us... we'll force goals upon you, if you want them, for free.

And if you don't enjoy it... again, you ought to re-evaluate your career decision.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Wil T

Wil T New Member

First of all, thanks to EVERYONE for your comments. They are all constructive for me.

And thanks to Mr Machfisto as I have decided to sign up for a course, so this is a welcome comment.

Can I just say, before anyone labels & pigeonholes me (!), that it's not because I am lazy, or unable to fend for myself. It is because I feel that a structured approach into a new industry is the way for me. I would like to be able to rewind time and go to college, but I can't. I am under a slight time pressure and I will be more confident doing it this way.

In this case, money isn't an issue. I'm not rich (or I wouldn't be doing this anyway), but I have an amount that will cover it set aside for just a situation.

I do hope that I am still welcome on the forum :puppy although I seem to be going against the grain in my learning preference.

Thanks for all your posts guys.

Wil

11. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi Wil T, hello and welcome to the forum, I think as long as you have the commitment to study and discipline to put aside the time when you have exams and all your mates want you to go out, you'll be half way there.

If you're suited to IT, you'll find that out as you go along, none of us can answer that. Personally I have not used a training provider, I've tried loads of learning methods, Videos, Books, websites, Testing engines and all have been helpful to me, maybe a training provider would have been the best of the lot, I don't know as I have not got the money to find out! Whichever way you feel you learn best, then I suggest you stick to it.

Good luck with your studies

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Wil T

Wil T New Member

Ropenfold & Nugget

Thanks guys

:D

14. BosonMichael

Not trying to label you or pigeonhole you, mate. I simply pass along what I've seen in my years in IT. I want you to go into the decision with both eyes open and all your options weighted. If you do that, and still decide to pay for a training course, there's no condemnation... it's your decision and your money. :)

15. Wil T

Wil T New Member

Thanks BM

I understand where you're coming from. And I do value your experienced opinion.

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. Wil T

Wil T New Member

Cheers Bruce

Quality avatar man!