Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Elaisse2, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Elaisse2

Elaisse2 New Member

Hey everyone, I have been searching around for a active community to see what information I can get. I have to admit I am confused on what certs I should get, or paths I should take its pretty confusing.

I got my A+ and Net+ 15 years ago but the school I went to for it told me after we were done that cers meant nothing and I needed a BA degree to even get my foot in the door. So I went to work for wal mart and then became a phlebotomist during that time.

They rehired some IT people for the hospital I work at and they had no degrees and just certificates. So I thought I would start down this road again and see where it took me.

my first question is, are my certs still good. I have been catching myself up on what is in the comptia test and so on.

Pleasure to meet you all, and ill be posting in other areas of the board.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Certforums. It's never too late to get into IT. If it interests you then I'd go for it. Certification is still very much alive and well and as you say, in many cases replaces the need for a degree as degrees can take so long, technology has often moved on by the time you finish an IT degree. I know mine had some ancient languages like Smalltalk.

What field of IT would you want to get into? Infrastructure/build/support, database administration, networking, programming. It all depends really.

Your A+ and N+ are still in fashion although things will have moved on. I would be tempted to brush up on both but not sit the exams again. I'd go for a Windows 10 exam possibly but again all depends on what area of IT you fancy

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Elaisse2 likes this.
  3. Elaisse2

Elaisse2 New Member

Thanks for the info. I am moving to michigan from maine within a month, and plan on starting a IT job there. I'll see what I like and hopefully figure out what certs I need.

Where are some good places to brush up on Net+ A+ info?

JK2447 likes this.
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I love the US. I hope the move goes well. I can help with Microsoft and VMware certification but I've not done the A+ N+ sorry. Anyone know of any good resources to brush up?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Elaisse2 likes this.
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

If you go on youtube, look for professor messer, he has some great resources in A+ and N +, as well as other vids

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Elaisse2 likes this.
  6. Harshika

Harshika New Member

hello, I'm also newly member for this site.

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi and welcome, you probably should look at the dates things were posted to avoid bumping old threads.