hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tony marshall, May 4, 2011.

1. tony marshall

tony marshall New Member

hello i have just signed up to the site due to me looking to do a web design course with nitlc.So i am trying to do research into them and what they are like in regards to the help they give to there customers?

I have been intouch with computeach but from the research i have done tonight it looks like they might not be the way to go.The salesman who i am speaking to from nit is offering me a 6 month course to do the adobe cert which will cost me £995 but i will have to pay for the exams.Once this exam is passed i can do the web developer course but this will cost me another £3500.

So my question is will this help me get my foot in the door at a company?

I do know how to use photoshop and dreamweaver as i am self taught and i do run my own website and designed it myself but i am struggerling to even get an interview due to me not having that piece of paper.

Any help on this matter would be great as i really do not want to waste my money it is short demand as it is lol.

Many thanks

Tony Marshall

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You do not need a training provider to obtain any cert 'pieces of paper', self study is possible where you study on your own, practice, build on experience and then book your own exams.

I have two web development related certifications, they cost me lest than £400 combined because I self studied using books from amazon and booked my own exams.

It's upto you if you think they will give you value for money, you do not mention what £3500 is for. In general people with experience don't need training providers and people without experience get little from advanced courses.

3. tony marshall

tony marshall New Member

The £3500 is for the web Professional which includes .net 4.0

sorry about that

What books did you use like i say i know how to use photoshop and dreamweaver i learnt that from the web.How easy was the adobe exam to do and the dreamweaver one i will give you a link to the site i have made it is.

www.brumland.com it has not been updated for a while due to family commitments but as you can see i have done a lot with it.

Thanks for the reply

ok search is my friend lol i tell that to ppl most days but i just found the self study guide very informative but is there any links to a guide in regards to where to get intouch with the places that are doing the exams?

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi

I dont mind the site, although to be honest you will need professional sites aimed at business, your best bet is to get a portfolio together of say half a dozen sites and show what you can do.

Getting the portfolio together should be easy, just approach a half dozen small local companies at a time, offer to do them a free website (well they pay for domain name and hosting) and build something for them.

They shouldnt say no to that offer, once you have a portfolio then these companies will be more likely to give you a chance.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I haven't taken any Adobe exams and I don't use Dreamweaver, I'm a developer, I have SCWCD and MCPD Web Developer .NET 2.0 certifications.

Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment
    Computer-Based Testing Provider for Certification and Licensure Exams: Pearson VUE

There are many .Net 4 exams, I take it you mean the ones related to web development, are you attempting MCTS or MCPD on the web developer track? In any case, development is different to design and you should not attempt these exams until you know :-

Object Orientated Analysis and Design, C# or VB .NET, JavaScript, HTML, XML, JQuery, SQL, ADO, ASP .NET, MVC, IIS, Visual studio 2010, .NET framework 4, LINQ, WCF etc.

In other words they are for experienced developers with years of training and experience, they should not be marketed to people who cannot code in C# and have zero knowledge of the .NET framework, Visual Studio and Web Development.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-515&locale=en-us
    Here is a link to get you started http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308760.aspx, no need to give me 3k...

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  6. tony marshall

tony marshall New Member

many thanks for the replys guys.

The portfolio thing i am already working on i think i am going to do the self learning cause i seem to learn better that way and i wont be under pressure to get things done in there time frame.

Glad i found this site now amazing how the guy from nit told me to search for complaints and he has just sold himself out of a sale lol.

7. tony marshall

tony marshall New Member

this is just a quick post to say thanks to the ppl that replyed to my message.

I have now decided to do the computia a+ and network + to get my foot in the door and then will self study the web implaments i spoke about.

My books came today and i will book my exam in the next few weeks as i have been repairing and building computers for about 15 yrs now.

Thanks again this site was a well worth it find