Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Alx, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Alx

Alx New Member

Hi everyone I'm Alex, I am currently working as an electrician but am wanting to change career. I've had a look at a couple of training providers and National IT learning centre seems to be a decent one. I'm thinking about doing an intermediate level technical and systems engineer course. The qualifications would be A+, Network+, CompTIA and MCITP. I have read a few posts on here about self study but not really sure about that.

Would appreciate any advice or guidance on just about anything! lol

Thanks Alex

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Well it really depends how you prefer to learn and only you can answer that. If you have the money for training providers and you prefer to classroom learning then go for it.

If you are happy to go hands-on and learn as you go via a book (Mike Myers All-in-One) and online videos (http://www.professormesser.com/) then you save money but it can take longer.

One thing to comment on your thread, CompTIA is the organization - A+ and N+ are the exams. So you will be doing 3 qualifications.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Oh, and welcome to Cert Forums :)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

You'll find most people on here recommending self study. It's much cheaper and you can move at your own pace. Furthermore, there are so many dodgy training providers, it's hard to ensure you're getting good training for your money.

Welcome!

5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. dblight

dblight Bit Poster

Hi Alex,

Welcome to CF also. I have only recently decided to go and crack on with my certifications again after working a number of years in IT already.

I for one defiantly recommend self study. The obvious benefits are you do it at your pace and only shell out for the resources you need. If you do get stuck then this place is awesome. I recently purchased a Kindle and would highly recommend it for self study. I take it everywhere now and even if i just get 5 mins thats another page out of the book read!

Anyway, welcome again!

Certifications: 70-620:Configuring Windows Vista Client
    WIP: 70-640 / 70-642 / 70-646
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another recommendation for self study. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Self Study ROCKS!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science