Hello :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Tabu, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Tabu

Tabu New Member

Hi Everybody! Another newbie checking in. Just wanted to to say hello and look forward to chatting. Have been browsing this site for sometime and you guys give sound advice.

Hopefully you would be so kind and share your expertise with me...So here goes and I apologise beforehand for the long post :oops:

Landed my first real IT job after 2 years in a banking job doing everything but IT! Been in the job for 3months now and it is/was going great. Unfortunately due to cutbacks within the lovely NHS (for whom I work for) the future is looking a little cloudy. Another twist is that there's potential for a job in London working in IT Support 1st/2nd line. A friend of mine told me his boss asked if he knew anybody and my friend told his boss about me. Friend said if I applied the interview was guranteed - I know it's not in the bag, but I'm trying to be positive :D .

Anyway getting to the point - My current job - like what I do, working with lovely people, commute by car, not stuck behind desk all day as we support many sites so driving around most of the time. Potential new job - Excellent development opportunity, perhaps a greater variety of technologies and double my current salary plus about £2000 more.

Trying really hard to weigh it up the biggest con of the potential job is the traveling, I really don't want to commute by train - hated it when I was in the banking job. Con of current job is that I spend nearly £200 on petrol every month just getting from home to work each day, have a feeling that progression and development might be slower.

I have been in jobs which really weren't for me and it can be kind of depressing being stuck doing something you have no passion for. Just trying to move a little more wisely and hopefully not end up in this situation again....So my question is what factors did you consider when going for/accepting a job?

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For my first IT job? The only factor I considered was that it was an IT job. The beginning of a career is not the time to be choosy... particularly in this economy. Get some experience so you CAN eventually be selective about what positions you take.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF I agree with BM get your foot in the door before becoming choosy good luck :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+