Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Aggy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Aggy

Aggy New Member

Hello all,

Have been hovering around for a little while and finally taken the plunge and signed up to the forum. Have been in IT since I left school which is about 16 years now....god how time flies when you are paying taxes.!

Am currently doing a degree with the open university in computing and design and just started to read the coursework for the MCPD in .net framework. Also planning on taking my MCSE as soon as possible.

regards
    Aggy

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would you take the MCPD and MCSE? You do know that those are two ENTIRELY different fields of IT, right?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I agree with BosonMichael... Why are you doing both? One is a high level programming qualification, the other one is a high level 3rd tier Network admin/AD designer qualification. Two very different fields in IT, personally I'd be a little worried if I saw a candidate with both gained within roughtly the same time if the experience does't match.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Aggy

Aggy New Member

yep I know, but like to be able to dabble and with the jobs market the way it is I would rather have to many qualifications than none at all.

6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

But, being a programmer isn't going to get you a job as an admin and vice versa. Do you have experience in any field of IT?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

One doesn't "dabble" in dissimilar, upper-level career exams. If I saw a resume/CV with both of those on there, I'd think one or both of the following:

- This person hasn't worked as BOTH a programmer AND a server admin... so he/she likely braindumped the exams.
    - This person really doesn't know what they want to do as a career... so it's too big a risk to hire them.

Choose a field and pursue it. Otherwise, you may cause yourself MORE trouble in getting a job, not LESS trouble.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!