Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DGJ, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DGJ

DGJ New Member

Hello everyone,

Thought I would say hi before I start posting threads all over this site.

Looking to start the A+ exam asap. Don't know if I'm better to get the All-in-One guide or go for a distance learning course thorugh pittman or home learning centre. had skills train out and signed with them but realised it was a big mistake. fortunately enough i have put my cancellation notice in on time.

Is it worth my while paying 450 for the distance learning or just use the guide. Any suggetions?

Anyway, looking forward to starting the course and chating through the forums.

2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome.

You could try local colleges, self study or training providers. There are benefits and downfalls to all of them. Not sure what the all-in-one guide is but there are many people on here who have passed this cert who should be able to provide good info.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

See all those certifications in my sig? Every single one of them was gained through self-study and/or real-world experience. I have yet to pay for a single training course. If I can do it, you can too!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

For the A+, I would try the self-study route first of all. Then if you don't get on with it, then go for the distance learning/classroom based studies.

It all depends on how you learn...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi and Welcome!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd agree, self study for A+ all the way.

Welcome to CF by the way :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. DGJ

DGJ New Member

Cheers for the advice guys.

I think I may go down the self study route first. I've looked through course material from the distance learning and it seems to mirror a lot of the whats in Mike Meyer's All-in-One. I think I'll give self study a go instead of shelling out money for purley course material when the book is just as good.

Went to uni and always found I learned more working at my own pace and my own way was better for me. Will save me money and have a link some of the other guys gave me about for discounts for the exam.

I personally think the best way to learn this course will be through practical experience. Have a faulty PC I get the dreaded screen of death with so will be help me fix that. Can also buy older PC's and work away on them.

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

I used the Meyer's AIO guide to prepare and pass my A+.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Silverfox

Silverfox Bit Poster

I would always recommend self study to start with as you need to get an idea of the course before committing to paying a training provider. Try a combination of the Meyers AIO and Professors Messers www.freeaplus.com. I would be surprised if the material provided by a TP were any better than these.

10. DGJ

DGJ New Member

Excellent. Thanks Silverfox. With this link to www.freeaplus.com I believe I have all I need to get stuck into the course. Would always prefer to have these kind of videos to use as a reference on top of the books. Sinks in more when I can see it being done as well.

Just ordered the All-in-One guide for only £20 through Amazon which seems a good price since it costs £35 from Borders or Waterstones. Lookin forward to getting started now. Should be fun :biggrin

11. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats on finding this great resource. IMHO if you have never touced the insides of a computer (swapped/upgraded RAM or HDD) than you should take a class to get some hands on. If you do not know what RAM and HDD stand for, take a class.

If you are comfortable with the insides of a computer than you should be able to get by comfortably with self-study and self-training.

Good luck!:D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE