Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Benjamin Woodcock, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Benjamin Woodcock

Benjamin Woodcock Bit Poster

Hi all,

My name is Benjamin, i'm 16, i currently hold CompTIA's A+ certfication. I am working towards CompTIA's Network+ in the next couple of weeks and in the future will be working towards Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST). Maybe i'll be going onto more Microsoft Certifications in the future but only time will tell that i suppose :p

Nice meeting you all!

Ben
    CompTIA A+ Certified

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Network+, MCSA
  2. richeh

richeh New Member

wow very young to be qualified, how was the exam for u?

Certifications: None!
    WIP: A+ network +
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Just don't become too over qualified so young as being over qualified can make it harder to get a job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Benjamin Woodcock

Not that bad to be honest, 601 (essentials) nearly got me though lol got 675/900... just on the past mark :D

7. greenbrucelee

A pass is a pass. Well done:)

8. Benjamin Woodcock

Thank you :)

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Congrats on the pass and good luck with the N+.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  11. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

I have never heard so much bollox in my life!!!

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats, and welcome!

You've really got it in for GBL, dont you? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. greenbrucelee

he just likes an argument that's all, I'm still waiting for him to tell me where my comments weren't constructive in the TP thread.

15. Mr Machfisto

All I want is for you guys to be a bit more positive.

There are many new members who join thess forums who are looking for advice. If your suggestions to them are more positive, they may stay around a bit longer.

Thats All

MrM

16. greenbrucelee

It's not really about being positive, it's about pointing people in the correct direction. Being over qualified can hurt your job prospects.

This is a bit out the way but bare with me, I am advanced driver and I work at a place where there are a few young people who have passed their driving tests and are getting their first cars. Am I wrong to tell them not to buy super duper fast cars as they'll most likely kill themselves or not, one of them was driving her dads car the other day which happens to be a BMW M3, these cars are really dangerous especially for a new driver as they are super quick was I wrong to say she shouldn't be driving it?

The point is going in too deep can have bad consequences and I don't want anyone to suffer those consequences, the same is for someone who becomes super qualified with no experience.

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Perhaps you would care to explain your comment rather than just attack him? Not exactly contructive is it?

Well done Benjamin and welcome to CF. No harm in starting on the certification track young, certainly with entry level certs like the A+ & N+. I happen to agree with GBL though, if you do too many too soon without experience to back them up then it could hurt your employment chances rather than help them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to agree with GBL, I've seen it happen. If someone is applying for an entry level job and already has a MCSE (or other higher-level certs). The first thing that pops up is:

While that would be ok for some companies that already have a high turn-over of staff, for alot of companies it isn't.

Remember professional IT certification are there to reflect your job role and responsibilities (eg A+ & Network+ for entry level or level 1, MCSE for highend level 2 or level 3, etc) and not to be used as a substitute for experience. Added to that alot of IT managers are disregarding certs if the experience does not match them, see here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  19. Mr Machfisto

STOP PRESS

Lets all stop studying and forget the IT Sector.

People study to gain qualifications to improve their career, if the young chap stops studying now as he might get 'over qualified' where do you think he career will end up.

I have been always had a positive outlook on life. Gain as many quals as you can and keep upgrading them, it shows then you want to better your career.

Have some have you wondered why you careers have not moved forward?

I am sorry if you guys disagree with me, but these are my thoughts and are from personal experiences.

20. greenbrucelee

have a look at Kens cert list and what he does, he seems to moving along nicely, you seem very bitter to me. Maybe you realised about self study when you came here and thought you wasted all your money :D:twisted: That was a joke dude.