Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by daveenigma, Oct 6, 2008.

1. daveenigma

daveenigma New Member

Hello folks, Dave here. I've stumbled across these forums after a whirlwind opportunity to jump from permanent employment to contracting presented itself.

My story is I left my role 6 months as an application support analyst/sys admin for a small software house developing patient information systems for the NHS and Social Services and went into App Support for a convergent billing solutions provider in the Telecoms market.

6 months down the line and I'm pretty bored of the day to day tedium of running reports, scheduled jobs and monitoring the system when a friend of mine who started contracting 6 months ago for a customer of the above Social Services software house approached me about a potential position at the same place. Within a week this position came a reality and based on their experience of working with me at my previous job offered me the position without even asking for my cv...

So today, I've accepted the offer and have handed in my notice however, I am now faced with getting myself quickly up to speed with setting myself up for contracting, which I am slowly getting my head around. I'm looking to go under my friends company initially then set myself up as a limited company somewhere along the line.

The contract is only for 6 months initially with no guarantee of it being extended. So while I'm going to enjoy raking in some serious cash until March next year I am also going to be grafting for some qualifications which will enable me to continue in the field of contracting... I'm looking therefore at doing either the MCDST and/or working towards the MCSA initially.

I think I'm making the right decision, though to be leaving the security and monotony of full time employment to contracting almost over night fills me with a certain amount of fear aswell as an immense amount of excitement...

So I will no doubt be spending many hours trawling these forums for advice and asking some very novice questions!

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with it all.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security