Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Denver Maxwell, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Hi-Yes im new
    Wonder how many people out there know me already? (scary thought) :)

Ive been looking around here for the last few weeks / months i guess as i am looking to actually do some certs.
    I may have a totally unrealistic view of what i wish to achieve also... (ive never took an MS exam for example)
    But i guess i will soon find out.

Anyway I’m an Admin that does first, second, and third line support as well as infrastructure, servers, AD, Exchange, Virtualisation, SAN, DR, Power, VPNs etc. well just about everything really on a 2k-2k3 multi site domain progressing to 2k8 very soon. (ive gone through a full virtual migration {multi site} many times).

However i am toying with going full out and going for MCITP Enterprise Administrator. And id like to do that in the next 9 months... (actually id like to do it in 7 days, but i actually wish to learn all the little bits as well!)

only thing i cant figure is am i really that mad to consider spending $$$$ and ZZZZ time on this?

Denver

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

It's certainly possible! However, I'd recommend that you pursue the MCSE on 2003 first. Why?
    - First, the MCSE doesn't expire.
    - Second, most companies use Windows Server 2003 (there are even some that still use Windows 2000, though those exams have been retired).
    - Third, you can always upgrade your MCSE to the MCITP: EA; you can't "downgrade" your MCITP to the MCSE.
    - Finally, getting the MCSE on 2003 will make it look like you've "been around" longer... especially when the MCSE becomes retired and is no longer available.

If you're considering spending $$$$ on a training course, then yes, you're mad. If you're considering spending $ or $$ on a few books and (legit) practice exams and equipment, then no, you're not mad at all!

You're probably gonna spend ZZZZ time one way or another, if you plan on improving and advancing in IT. Might was well get some industry-recognized certifications out of it! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi Denver. I just wanted to say that you have a fantastic name. :D

Welcome to the forums.

Listen to what the Big Man said - he tells the truth (most of the time).

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. BosonMichael

The difficult part is discerning the truths from the rumors. 8)

Hey, did you hear that Qs is a cross dresser? :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Am not :(

I've heard some interesting stories about wizard though :p I'd watch out for him.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) Denver and I too would second the mcse 2003. Best wishes and lets know how you get on with the exams.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

I second what BM said.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Denver Maxwell

I never expected to get a response today!! :)

Thanks for the responses.
    mmm ive been thinking about the MSCE 2003 for a while ive grown up on 2k0 so i would not worry to much about doing it other than the time? (how much extra time is the question) I was thinking that it would be good to show progression on a new format rather than going for a MSCE 2003 being that most orginisations will be looking to move to 2008. Though i would like to say i have an MSCE :)

interestingly i have actualy just singed up for MS 70-620 Vista and got 70-290 on 2003 free (including exams its going to cost me a grand total of £10 (using ILA in scotland), now thats not spending may $$) thats online MS training to. :)

Thanks
    Denver

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's good, using ILA in Scotland. I wish we have that here in London, might have to check. I would still look into doing the MCSE 2003 as most companies are only just migrating to windows server 2003 AD infrastructure.

Ultimately the choice is your call:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. Denver Maxwell

Yeah indeed migrations are sloooow, some are even skipping 2003 altogether.....

though i dont think that gives me an excuse :)

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. BosonMichael

This forum is pretty active. :)

As much as it takes... and considering most businesses use it, it'll be time well spent. ;)

Companies will move to 2008 once. Companies will USE 2003 (or 2008 ) on a continuous basis.

What's an MSCE? (Get your acronyms straight, my man!) ;)

Mmmm... where'd you get the exams for £10? Do you mean some practice exams, or the actual certification exams? Sounds too good to be true... I worry you've been scammed. :unsure

13. Denver Maxwell

If it was a scam id only lose £10 :) http://www.eskillsacademy.com/ via the University of the West of Scotland
    I got one module free via there Motivated Men initiative!!! and used £190 of a £200 ILA from http://www.ilascotland.org.uk/ so in total i get to take 2 exams for £10. i figured its sure worth a shot!!
    Oh and the best thing is my ILA runs October to October so next month i get another one :)

I love SCOTLAND!!