Hello..

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by JEFF4508, May 9, 2008.

1. JEFF4508

JEFF4508 New Member

Just posting here to get rid of that red message at the top for new members 8)

I'm from Brighton, am 21 (a few days ago).

Have been on computers (started with a BBC Acorn....) since I was 4. So I am rather handy, but that's about it. I want to get right into the technical side. I'm an analytical person by nature, will never settle for a "just because it does" answer.

I haven't had any IT experience other than at home (or my 2 week's work experience when I was 16) and have been working in construction as a Site Enginner/Surveyor for the past 3 and a half years.

I have made a post about Advent Training in the Training+Support section if anyone has any comments on that.

Otherwise suggestions on directions/places to go are welcome.

Certifications: F All
    WIP: MCSA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

While we are waiting for your other post to appear I'll comment that you are young enough to not have much trouble doing home-study, which will be *much* cheaper than going with a training company.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. JEFF4508

JEFF4508 New Member

Right, but where do you start with job hunting?

I'm not working atm (living in budget on my remaining bank balance until I can organise a way forward).

I don't mind travelling too much, but I can't drive so that puts a big limit onto where I can go apart from Brighton or London which something I would seriously consider, but the money would need to be enough to commute for a while though. (Think train for a year is something like 4k...)

What chance would I have to find a similar starting job (IT support tech) that Advent suggest for someone training toward MCSA.

I just need a program really, I suppose that's the way I'm justifying 4.5k.

5. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

Welcome and best of luck 8)

Certifications: CCDA ACSE CCWA Mitel SX2000 & 3300
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum...
    Is self-study not an option?

7. hbroomhall

First - if you are living off your bank balance I would strongly advise against spending the thousands on a training provider. This could put you seriously in debt, and with the current economic climate it would be a worry.

Second - if you want to invest in something - get your driving license (unless there are medical reasons why you don't have one). You may not own a car, but having a driving license will be a huge benefit.

Third - look for a starter job. Brighton is big enough that there ought to be such jobs about. The cost of commuting is huge, as you say, so when starting out I'd look around locally.

Harry.

8. JEFF4508

JEFF4508 New Member

Anything is an option.

But I wouldn't know where to start...

Although the Advent thing is £4.5k, it's 0% for 3 years. £130 a month (less than my first year of car insurance!).

They also say I could achieve a 25k salary (if I work in london) after my first set of exams (A+) with the promise of working toward MCSA.

9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
  10. hbroomhall

I can pretty much guarantee that you won't get £25k with just A+ and no experience! This is a typical ploy by some training providers. Read the small print!

Start by going to your main 'Jobcentre' or whatever it is called these days and talk to them. Look up local computer retailers/repairers and see if they need a gopher. Look in the local paper (used to be the Argus if I remember correctly).

Harry.

11. JEFF4508

JEFF4508 New Member

Brighton isn't exactly a good location for any business other than the retail sector.

Haven't tried the Argus, but went to the jobcentre a few weeks back and they did have a few IT places, one of them actually required MCSA and had a 30k+ salary next to it.. Which gave me a little hope if anything.

That 25k remember is London, they quoted 18 for the same position elsewhere.

What would your opinion of a salary for the said position be?

I would do it alone if I could be sure I'd finish. I read a post about setting up a test lab for the price of enrollment into something like this... But the difference is I'm paying £130 a month for this training as I don't want to start scratching at my savings (which is what I'd have to do for the suggestions I've seen regarding DIY training).

Has anyone heard success stories from people coming out of Advent training? They've been around long enough I would've thought someone has finished a course with them having something to say.

12. hbroomhall

What's wrong with retail? I did that when I was young. It's the *experience* that matters!
    Forgive me for saying so, but you don't come across as being keen enough! You should be *haunting* the Jobcentre - jobs come and go rapidly! If you really want to break into this sector you need to make a big effort!
    I'd doubt you'd get it in London either, unless you were very lucky.
    Start with the A+. Buy a couple of books (see the recommendations in the A+ section here), and a old junk computer. Total cost would be about £150. That's a *lot* less than a course. And again - you don't sound keen enough. Push yourself to finish!

Give people time to respond - only a few of us sit online all day!

Harry.

13. JEFF4508

JEFF4508 New Member

Experience in what though?? I have nearly 4 years experience of 50 hour weeks, starting with hard labour, moving to site supervision (at 18!!), to surveying and setting out, also did 6 months in a Purchasing department.

I have a fair bit of work experience, however no IT industry experience. Which is what I'm interested in.

If I had some carrot then I would be there everyday.. But I have had nothing but "you need this, you need that". I guess that might be why I found Advent so appealing.

Surely there are entry level jobs in London... If luck plays a part then so be it. But I think given the knowledge, I would take things further than most.

I appreciate any comments Harry. But you don't know me... If Advent's support is costly, that's one opinion, if they're useless and a bunch of liars, that's another. I'm more interested in the latter.

If there's a way to do it for less by yourself, but that's the only difference, I'd rather go with the option of support and help.

Thanks again.

14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

How long have you been out of work?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  15. JEFF4508

JEFF4508 New Member

About 3 weeks. Lost my licence and I was a land surveyor:oops:

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then that's all the more reason that you don't want to go heavily into debt.

If you want an affordable program (that isn't going to rip you off by suggesting courses like the MCSA that aren't relevant to your experience level), then listen to the advice on this forum and study what most people on here recommend.

...then, if you want to give us half of that 4.5K, then by all means, do so. I'll send you my PayPal account info so you can give me my share. 8) Or, keep your money: the advice is freely given at no charge to you! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!