Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by seth, Jul 8, 2007.

1. seth

seth New Member

I would like to say hi to everyone, ive got some questions and i hope u'll help me.
    I just got my BSc degree and i want to push my career towards IT, that's why im gonna need some papers. My computer skills are not so bad and i was thinking of starting MCDST (70-271 and then maybe 70-271) or maybe A+? Or should i get something like ECDL or IC3 just for a start - so i can pass it straight away and try to find some job in IT and then learn for A+ while working?? :dry

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Have you got any IT experience?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF, glad you joined.

Congrats on Achieving the BSc :) To tell the truth the IC3 & the ECDL are end-user/power user certs, if you are going into the technical field then the A+, Network+ and the MCDST would be great entry level professional certs to go for in order to raise your profile for an IT job. You can start studying for these certs now and either attain them before you get a job or attain them after you get a job.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. seth

seth New Member

Wizard - no, unfortunately i don't have any. I had some office job when i took a gap year but it was nothing interesting.

wagnerk - thx :) so what should i start with? i have to say that i downloaded a lot of materials for MCDST but i can't really find anything for A+. I don't want to do the course, im just gonna study on my own.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

Congrats on the Bsc, since you want to get into IT, you have to start with the basics. The basics would something A+ and N+, MCDST is also a got cert to have from microsoft. All of these certs here will give you a base to start with and grow to specialize in something that you find interesting.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. seth

seth New Member

Thanks for info.
    I have:
    'All in One - CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide Sixth Edition (2007)' and 'CBT Nuggets CompTIA A plus Certification Package'
    is it enough?
    Once im ready where i should book my exam and how much it might cost?

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You might also want to have some pratice questions like getting your hands on transcender which will give you a practice exam, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

The first book is one of the ones this place always recomends. I used a previous edition when I took my exam.

Best also pick up a second-hand machine to mess about with. You need some practical experience as well!

If you look on the CompTIA web-site there are links to the two main exam providers, Pearson and Prometric, and you can find out which has a testing centre near you, and also book the exam.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello!:)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+