Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by brind1972, Dec 8, 2006.

1. brind1972

brind1972 New Member

Hi all

First post and saying hello.

Looking at studying for N+ then CCNA so any advice would be appreciated. Have had the usual visits from SkillsTrain and NITLC but would prefer, if possible, to go it alone.
    Have been an IT Field Engineer for 6 years but I think extra qualifications are now needed to progress (should have done them years ago I know!)

Have ordered "Comptia A+ Server+ Network+ & Security+*********" and "Cisco CCNA - router simulators****************" really cheap on ebay, any thoughts on these.

Cheers all

brind

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

As for your study materials, well um, I am not sure about the legality of buying stuff on eBay as the licence to use the products is sold to original user and it may not be transferable - And, the testking stuff is definitely as dodgy as it gets. They are braindumps, which are frowned upon here as they are the actual questions from the vendors exams. Using them is a really bad idea, you will not only be cheating but if it's found out you could have your certs revoked.

I strongly suggest that you delete that crap without further ado.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. brind1972

brind1972 New Member

Ok, well thanks for the welcome, and I defiinitely do not want to alienate you guys before I even start so thanks also for the advice which is duly noted!

Damn ebay and their vetting procedures! :x

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No problem Brind. You might want to search the forum for the word braindump, there have been many posts in the past and there is some excellent advice here already. It's just as important to know what to avoid as it is to know what to focus on - it's a minefield, especially for a person just starting on the cert trail.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Oops... I didn't even see the TK words in his post!

Brind, he's right - you don't want to mess with that stuff. It's a collection of *real* questions and answers from the exam. Using them is flat-out cheating, and is highly discouraged by the companies who grant the certifications. Using them is no different than stealing the professor's final exam from his or her desk and studying the questions on it. Thus, you can have your certifications revoked by using them.

CBT companies usually sell their products as a non-transferrable, single-user license. Meaning, once sold to an individual, only that individual can use it, and they can't resell it, trade it, or even give it away legally. Not sure if that's the case with the CBT stuff you bought, but you do want to be careful not to violate copyright law.

Hope this helps. We're not coming down on you... but we do want to make sure you stay on the right side of the tracks, so to speak. Best of luck! And welcome again to the forum!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. brind1972

brind1972 New Member

Thanks guys! :biggrin