Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by stead, Aug 8, 2006.

1. stead

stead New Member

Hi, i found this forum after trying to find real people on google who've done the cerco fast track thing

anyways, here is a litte about myself

I'm currently working in a factory, base 17k, easily earn 22k+ if i wanted to do just one days over time everyweek, which most people do, its expectionally easy work, just long hours, i have no interest in staying in this line of work, i've worked in a factory before, hated it, but i wanted to save up some money quick and figured its an easy way to do it (some people work 7days a week as they are crazy! and take home £700 a week after tax, obviously they don't do it for long, but its nice knowing you cna do it if your short up!)

my point for the above paragraph is because i wanted to state i'm not interested mainly in a high wage, obviously it would be nice, but i;d be happier on 12k a year doing a job i enjoy than 17k a year doing something that bores me to death, i went to an interview for cerco just over a week ago, i had 40/40 on the 'pc test' and 21/24 on the mecanical test (i had to add, there was a lot of thinking on the second test!) i was also the only one to finish the first test, and the sales...sorry, the instructor told me that i was the first one to get full marks in 18 months, he seemed to look geuniely sad that most people don't, although i couldn't tell if it was just a sales thing (last job i worked in comet as a salesman so i'm used to the hardsell)

anyway i'm looking for people who have done the cerco training program, i've searched thru a lot of posts, but some seem as if they are trying to sell the course, and of course you never know if anyone is telling the truth from reading one post on a forum

the guy at the interview seemed to be pushing the fact that they choose the students more than the students choose them, insisting they only allow you to take the course if you pass the tests, to me the first test seemed quite easy, the second did actually seem like you needed a brain to do it, we were shown a slide show, with some impressive figures, although he also made the point that you shouldn't expect a high salary, as most people start off between 11-15k depending on location, and after you've obtained your job, they will help you further your training to try and get higher, he also explained that they won't offer you short term jobs, all interviews arranged will be for perminant positions.

i'd like to add, i did a CompuTeach A+ in computer repair course in a nearby college, that hasn't really helped me at all, also i found the course to be exceptionally basic, although they did push on the history of the computer in the first few weeks in which i learned a few things, or so i was told.

so i'm trying to find more about cerco, i'd appricate pm's from anyone who has delt with them, oh the cost of the course was £4,000 plus i'd have to pay for accomindation, i don't really want to take out a loan to pay for this, i'd rarther avoid a loan alltogether.

something which i haven't really looked into tho is vba programming dealing with office applications, when i was in college i took a keen interest, especially with access and excel, i've writen stupidly complex programs using excel as a hobby for a friends company in my spare time, and enjoying doing things which i were told were impossible to do, i can't seem to find any sort of carear information about that line of work, i'm assuming someware must be employing people for that type of thing i just can't find it, if anyone knows about excel/access programming i'd also appricate it.

p.s. i think my ideal job would be a field service techinican, as i do enjoy meeting people, and troubleshooting, another point about the cerco people was that they were more interested in me when i said i had a full clean driving license

sorry for the long post, i'm not very good at talking online, to be honest i've never had an interest in using computers to pass time, i've always being interested in automation and installation, hrmm one last quick question, i was working with the SAP system before, i used to enjoy writing macro's to automate everything i did (which led to me being dismissed) i've tried searching online to find out about sap training but all i seem to find is jobs for sap trainers nothing about actually getting trained to use it.

again i apoligise for my lengthy and proberbly unreadable post, i shall continue to look through this forum for more information, but bearing in mind i have to be in work by 5:45 in the morning for a nice 12 hour shift i realise i'm not in the best frame of mind at the moment!

Certifications: computeach a+ computer repair
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I haven't done any training in the UK so I can't personally help you I'm afraid but I am sure someone will be along shortly, once they have woken up :biggrin

In the meantime welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

welcome to CF!

is your main interest in programming?? i got a bit of hint about that from wot u posted above :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome to CF!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. stead

stead New Member

thanks!

yes i was very tired when i wrote that.

basically i have to keen interests related to IT, vba programming i'm interested in and troubleshooting/fixing problems and configuring and installing systems, i've been down to cerco and they seem adament that they can get me a job as a field service engineer based on our brief discussion (well they said the biggest problem they'd think i'd have is the fact my hair is shoulder length, just to make sure its neat and tidy and the fact i live in wales)

i'm interested in programming, but for some reason i've only really shown interest in vba, i espeically like excel and how insanely powerful it is when you start coding with it! :biggrin

but yes, overall i'm looking for anyone with experiance with cerco, i have a big booklet of testimonals from cerco graduates, but i do'nt know why i just find it hard to belive them, although the pay rates seemed fair enough, starting at 11.5 to some who i either don't belive at all or were just insanely lucky well there was one who said they'd got a job with 60k a year, i don't expect that to be realistic whatsoever tho. most of the testimonals seem to be around 15k, which would be enough for me, for now/

thanks for the friendly welcome tho!

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. spitfirebob

spitfirebob Bit Poster

Welcome toooo CF mate.
    Forget cerco and save yourself 4000 smackaroos.

Certifications: Cerco CSNS
    WIP: Old Age
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would question this, if you failed the tests and still wanted to hand over the £4k for training I would be surprised if they would turn you back. :blink

Personally I think the only ‘training provider’ that allows people to take a course after passing a test is a university or a college. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

:rolleyes: I did the Cerco course, and finished with 100% passmark for the CCSN on both Practical and Theory tests, and it took me some 300+ applications and lots of effort to secure my first IT job (as a systems intergrator on 14.5k per annum working for an industrial rack mount PC / Server supplier), but I didn't get a lot of response from the job placement side of cerco until (as the law of averages seem to operate), I was already in my first job for two weeks.
    I managed to get the Friday off to go for the interview set up by Cerco, and found that although on first appearences this new job sounded as though it had potential, actuall, they (Cerco) were asking one man to do the work of three in the allocated time (swapping out old hardware and installing new hardware for banks such as server racks, switches and UPS's (uninterruptable power supplies, which incidentally weighed in at 300lbs).
    To cap this, Cerco were paying £8.00 per hour but charging the client £20.00 per hour, so not only do they make five thousand pounds per student, but they are making a mint from in house labour also. Something not quite right about this was the fact that they told us if anything went wrong, or any question's were asked about the company for who we worked for, we were under no circumstances to let the clients know we were in fact sub-contracted by Cerco, becase the client would almost certainly loose the contract with Dell.
    I changed my mind about taking this assignment up, and the Cerco employment agent said that because I had let them down, I wouldn't be approached or offered further work, so this is why I tend to state that Cerco was only 50% effective for me.
    Stead , I really would consider saving £4,000, and doing self study or taking a college course.
    The upside for me has been that I have discovered that extreme
    determination does pay, and I have been for another interview (the employer approached me by email), for a field service engineer with 4000 per annum more than i'm currently getting, a car and they will train me to Microsoft MCSE and Cisco CCNA certification standards.

Best Regards Baron210 (Selsey) UK
    :rolleyes:

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  10. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

:rolleyes: I did the Cerco course, and finished with 100% passmark for the CCSN on both Practical and Theory tests, and it took me some 300+ applications and lots of effort to secure my first IT job (as a systems intergrator on 14.5k per annum working for an industrial rack mount PC / Server supplier), but I didn't get a lot of response from the job placement side of cerco until (as the law of averages seem to operate), I was already in my first job for two weeks.
    I managed to get the Friday off to go for the interview set up by Cerco, and found that although on first appearences this new job sounded as though it had potential, actuall, they (Cerco) were asking one man to do the work of three in the allocated time (swapping out old hardware and installing new hardware for banks such as server racks, switches and UPS's (uninterruptable power supplies, which incidentally weighed in at 300lbs).
    To cap this, Cerco were paying £8.00 per hour but charging the client £20.00 per hour, so not only do they make five thousand pounds per student, but they are making a mint from in house labour also. Something not quite right about this was the fact that they told us if anything went wrong, or any question's were asked about the company for who we worked for, we were under no circumstances to let the clients know we were in fact sub-contracted by Cerco, becase the client would almost certainly loose the contract with Dell.
    I changed my mind about taking this assignment up, and the Cerco employment agent said that because I had let them down, I wouldn't be approached or offered further work, so this is why I tend to state that Cerco was only 50% effective for me.
    Stead , I really would consider saving £4,000, and doing self study or taking a college course.
    The upside for me has been that I have discovered that extreme
    determination does pay, and I have been for another interview (the employer approached me by email), for a field service engineer with 4000 per annum more than i'm currently getting, a car and they will train me to Microsoft MCSE and Cisco CCNA certification standards.

Best Regards Baron210 (Selsey) UK
    :rolleyes:

(Sorry for the DP- one can tell i've done the Cerco thing)!

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  11. stead

stead New Member

i'm glad someone said as i was going to arrange a loan this week to take the course, i'm going to have a browse through the forums about self study, i've been skeptical since hearing about it, but think i managed to convince myself it was an easy way out :rolleyes:

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck with your choice stead, and Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+