Hello World

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Trugster, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Trugster

Trugster New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm based in London and looking to get started in an IT career.

I'm currently doing voluntary work as desktop support and I passed my CompTIA A+ in November.

I'm now studying for my Comptia Network+ and I'm hoping to do the exam at the end of this month.

After that I'm not sure which direction to take.

This is a great site and I'm pleased to have found it.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all of you.

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to the forums!

I'm from London too and also trying to get started in an IT career, so I'm quite similar to you in some respects except that I have no experience whatsoever. I actually never thought about volunteering; how have you found it?

Are you looking to do Security+ after?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :)

Thread of Londoners so far! I started with the A+, N+ and Security+, they really gave me a good solid base on which to progress, so I do recommend that path.

Good luck with the Network+! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Trugster

Trugster New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Volunteering is pretty good - getting actual hands on experience without the same pressure you might feel if you were in a paid position.

I volunteer at a small charity and I'm the only tech on the premises so I'm not learning as fast as I would be in a tech support department where there were people around I could ask for help - but it's still good.

I've thinking of doing an MTA (server admin) next (so thanks to rocdamike for the link in the offers and promotions thread!) - I think a MS certification would carry some weight and it's all stuff I could use on a daily basis.

Security+ would make sense of course, nXPLOSi, but do you think MTA would be worth doing - all the computers and servers where I work run MS Windows?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Jammo1987

Jammo1987 Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF, good luck with the studying!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCTS (70-515), MCTS (70-516)
    WIP: MCTS (70-513)
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

MTA is another good option - and probably a better option for yourself if it fits into where you work.

I do also agree that MS certs carry a bit more weight then the CompTIA equivalents! A+, Network+ and MTA would put you in a good position for an entry level position for sure. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  7. Trugster

Trugster New Member

Thanks for the advice nXPLOsi.

I'd better concentrate on the Network+ for now - no good trying to run before I can walk. :)

8. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Good luck with the studying Trugster. The Network+ will be well worth it me thinks.

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums, good to see you here. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  10. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Haha, this is spot on. I think its natural to always be looking ahead, I've always done it and probably always will, can't help it!

Good luck with the Network+, you'll be onto the MTA before you know it. 8)