Hello to all :-)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by hibeenicol, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hibeenicol

hibeenicol New Member

Hi folks first post.

I'm just starting out in the IT world and threw myself in at the deep end but seem to be doing well and enjoying it all.

I've never worked in IT but done a small IT course at college 10 years ago but never went any further than that. I have learned basic skills myself but have decided nows the time to wise up and get some proper qualifications for myself.

I'm currently studying the CCNA course through the open university and also doing a PDA computer support course at the local college which is mainly learning Comptia A+ (this is the deep end I was talking about). The college is course is pretty much stuff I already know so taking it easy with that one, but the CCNA is tough and a lot to take in but I think I'm doing alright and I'm enjoying it.

I have also signed up for a HNC networking course at college for next year as I feel at the moment I don't have no qualifications of relevance to get a job in IT at the moment.

I'd be grateful of all advice that may come my way regarding the route I'm going down and if theres something else I should be looking at or something I should not be doing.

Thanks hibeenicol

WIP: CCNA, COMPTIA A+
  2. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

Welcome to the forum. :D

One bit of advice, do CompTIA A+ before anything else.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. hibeenicol

hibeenicol New Member

Yeah I should be finished the CompTIA A+ before the summer so that'll be done first and my CCNA course finishes in October so hopefully sit the Exam before the year ends.
    Not sure about doing the college course though or trying to find an entry level IT job instead???

4. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

Hey there, Welcome! A+ is definitely a must before everything else. I am putting together a study group 2morrow, US eastern time at 1pm. We'll use skype or google+ hangouts to conduct the training... please come, the more the merrier! If you're interested let me know!

5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. hibeenicol

hibeenicol New Member

Thanks I would of linked up with you all but I'm away tomorrow to do my networking fundamentals part 1 final exam at the Uni. Will keep an eye out for the next one though.

7. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

no problem, and good luck on the test! Be sure to look out for the next one.

8. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

There is another thread up on here at the moment regarding the Cisco CCNA exams, not sure if it was confirmed yet but if correct the current exam is due to be retired in September I think it was, so you will need to sit that quick, otherwise they may have changed the objectives and study material etc when you sit.

Just something to be very aware of and keep an eye on, as said cant remember if it was a definite or not now!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    parman05 likes this.
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums, good to see you here. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  10. hibeenicol

hibeenicol New Member

Just read the threads on the Cisco forum and see what your saying, the problem is that I have to finish the Open University course and if I pass with a high enough score I get a voucher for 50% off the CCNA exam. My final exam with the University isn't until the first week of October.
    Hopefully there isn't too much new stuff in the exam when they change it. Thanks for the heads up though.

11. ryankidman

ryankidman Bit Poster

hi hibeenicol welcome to this forum be in touch enjoy

12. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to the forums. I am new here too. Right now I am focussing on a few MTA certs, but then will move on to Comptia A+ later on. Good luck on both exams ;)

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect