Hello, thinking of getting in ti I.T.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dazzlerby, Mar 27, 2009.

1. dazzlerby

dazzlerby New Member

As the title says, i want to get in to it, have just had a "training advisor" from advent come round & offer me an MCSE course for 5K!!! i have looked up how much it would be to self teach and i get it to under a grand......after reading some stuff on here i have decided to self teach as i'm on a tight budget & haven't got 5 grand in the bank. Anyone think i'm doing the right/wring thing? Would really appreciate any advice as i'm stuck in a dead end job & sick of it. Sorry for starting a new thread but there's loads of new ones & i couldn't find one to suit.

Cheers in advance

Daz.

Certifications: no I.T., city & guilds inP.A.T testing
    WIP: mcse
  2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF,

What is your background experience in IT, have you built a computer, are a novice, or amateur?

I would suggest you get yourself a copy of Mike Meyers AIO A+ and start self studying away for the CompTIA A+ exam which requires you to pass two exams the 601 A+ Essentials and one of 602/603/604, I recommend doing the 602 IT technician. This will take you from a complete n00b to an expert on the basics of computer technician. Along with this I recommend checking out Proprofs.com for practice exams to let you know about where you are in comprehension of the material, along with professormesser.com for free training videos on A+, and if you have iTunes get the Mr. Ford's Class podcasts which are the same thing as the Mike Meyers stuff but in audio format and free. This should give you enough material to pass the exam and actually know what you are doing inside a computer. I also recommend having a computer that you don't mind taking down to a bare case and rebuilding so you get a full understanding of how it all works. After you get your A+ knocked out you can look to doing the Network+ and then the MCDST.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. dazzlerby

dazzlerby New Member

I have a very good basic knowledge of xp & vista, have no problems building pc's & have had my own pc(s) for about 5-6 yrs. I can install & configure xp & vista, & set up small (home) networks. Have successfully removed viruses from xp windows folders. I don't have any experience with servers or working in IT although i use microsoft office 2003 daily at work. I just need to know where to start maybe advice later on when i get stuck in!! Again, thanks a lot,

Daz.

4. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

You should definitely avoid going for the MCSE at this point, it will only hinder you when looking for a job. I would do self study for the A+, and then start volunteering at a local charity to get some hands on experience. Do you mind taking the computer you have apart and putting it back together? If not ask friends if they have old busted PCs you can have to fix up or look at a bargain second hand store for a cheapo pentium III or something. Once again good luck.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, I would strongly recommend going for the A+, Network+, the MCDST, MCTS in Vista & the MCAS in Vista (this one not being technical, but a power user cert - a good cert to ease you in).

Don't get suckered in to part with 5k to do a high level professional cert when they should reflect your job role/responsiblities, besides:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Great advice from the guys here Daz. And yes, I think you're doing the right thing!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

welcome to CF!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. dazzlerby

dazzlerby New Member

Cheers for the help & welcome guys, I'm gona start on the A+ first i think then take it from there, getting mike meyers book off ebay as i type......

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good advice already given. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

make sure the book you get off ebay is for the *current* objectives.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

How do. Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+
  15. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Cheers for the pointers for the free audio podcasts, I've always wanted something like that to use :biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  16. dazzlerby

dazzlerby New Member

hmmmmmmmm.......i am having a bit of trouble choosing the right book now, there are sooo many to choose from, is there one that covers 220-601 & 220-602? or do you have to get 2 books? help!

17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I couldnt really say I'm afraid. Dont tend to keep up with the A+ objectives any more. Sure someone with the knowledge will come along. Standard advice is to get a combination of Mike Meyers AIO, and PC Technician Street Smarts (Written by our Resident writer (and admin) Tripwire (James Pyles)).

What I meant though, was that the objectives change every couple of years. So a book for the 2003 objectives isnt current. Dont be tempted to get the 2003 copy because its cheaper than the 2009 version.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^ the 2003 objectives were retired 2-3 years ago and now the current ones are being retired.

THe A+ changes to the 2009 objectives at the end of July if you want to get it out of the way before it changes then get, compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

If you are going to do the two exams after JUly then get the AIO 7th edition and PC Technician street Smarts.

Bare in mind that the AIO book covers all of the exams but they all overlap each other anyway so do not make the mistake of reading sections of it. Just read the whole book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. smoggy333

smoggy333 Bit Poster

Welcome to CF !

Certifications: MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: CCNA