Hello there!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by alex+, Jun 8, 2010.

1. alex+

alex+ New Member

Hi, my name is Alex, i've only recently started a course with the intention of sitting the A+ and Network + exams and maybe taking in 1 or 2 MCP's. Having no experience in IT, it's all fairly new and exciting to me at the moment. The course i'm on runs over the next 13 months including 12-16 weeks work experience so i'm hoping if i dedicate myself to this i will have plenty of time to achieve my goals. I've bought both the Sybex A+ and Network + certification kits for home study along with the classroom work. Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated :D

2. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I recently obtained the A+ (2006), A+ bridge (which makes me current) and am studying the Network+. I advise obtaining some practice exams and take them after you study the appropriate sections. Study all their explanations because they often tell you why the wrong answers are wrong and so you can learn a lot. I use the practice exams to reinforce and further learn the material. They of course should not be your primary learning tool! But before you get any of them, run the website through certguard.com to test it for braindumps. Not only are braindumps cheating (and very dumb) but they will cost you the certification if you use them! I was looking at another site recently and a number of people were saying use such and such site because they're great, etc. When I checked the sites, I found that four or five of the ones being recommended were listed as braindumps! So use certguard.com to check them first.

Practice exams I personally have used and liked are Ucertify.com, Preplogic.com, examcram (which uses measureup I believe). The Preplogic ones go on sale every few months (they were on sale this past weekend!). I also used Transcender.com which had a lot of material but liked the others better. Boson.com is well reguarded on this site but I have never used their stuff (I might have for the Network but they are 2 versions behind on it) and they contribute a lot to this forum. All of the above mentioned vendors allow you to create custom exams which is great! What I do is create an exam on the topics that I have already studied and therefore reinforce the learning. If you have an iPod you can use a flashcard program to take your studying with you at any time. I used the "Cram" app on the iPod and really liked it a lot!!

Good luck!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. alex+

alex+ New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys and thanks for the advice Chuckles, i didn't even know what a braindumb was :oops:

6. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I didn't know either when I first started looking into this until I came across their mention in forums like this one!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple