Hello there and Thank You!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Coma toast, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Coma toast

Coma toast Bit Poster

Hi, guess what? I'm new here and I'm very glad I found this forum.

I have decided to go into IT as a career and was considering using one of those "training companies" that are just about everywhere in the job sections of papers.
    However after some research and much reading of this forum I have decided to go the self study route. I'd like to think I know my way around a computer but have now decided to take it a lot more seriously, I'm going to aim towards A+ first. I may also start looking into getting a CIW for websites as I'm not entirely sure of the route I want to go down.
    Oh, it's also best to get a job as soon as I have an A+??

Cheers!

WIP: A+
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:biggrin and must say you made the right decision to go the self study route. Any questions or vice versa feel free to ask.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its best to get a job in entry level IT now... You dont have to wait til you've got A+!

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said... and welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Coma toast (interesting handle). Welcome to CertForums.

Strictly speaking, you don't have to get an A+ cert if you want to go into web design. On the other hand, it couldln't hurt.

If you are undecided as to which IT career path to take, the A+ makes a nice default first choice. As the others said, start applying for jobs *now* while you're studying for the A+. Experience will get you a lot farther than any set of initials after your name.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF. Its nice to have a noob who doesn't need persuading to do self study, for a change. The CIW is a good BASIS for web design but will not turn you into a web "designer". A lot more study (or just actually using the technologies to build sites) is needed after CIW. Saying that, I DO think CIW is an EXCELLENT foundation for ALL Internet knowledge. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Coma toast

Coma toast Bit Poster

Cheers for the welcome!

Well after the research I've been doing it became pretty bloody obvious not to go with one of those companies!

So, I'm def going for the A+ and CIW (to keep my options open) and will be using the following books for self study-

A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (All-In-One)
    CIWTM Site Designer Certification Bible

I'll also start looking out for jobs now then, alot seem to want 1-2 yrs experience though.:hhhmmm

WIP: A+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome! Good choice regarding the self study. You'll save tons of money this way.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA