hello thanks and help!:)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by richrolls, Nov 13, 2009.

1. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

hi all thanks for the already very helpfull advice from posts

i am completely new to IT and for the past month have been searching the best route of getting into it, after nearly parting with 6k to a training provider which by the sounds of things would be a bad idea as most people seem to advice being self taught i have decided to attempt to attempt to do this.

It seems to be recomended to start with the compTIA A+, (thanks to zimbo for the very helpfull post) recomended several books to research and to take the test on your own self taught studying as opposed to that of a tp was wondering if anyone else had any advice on self teaching to pass the compTIA A+ , also on the compTIA website it says
    "The English version will retire in the U.K., Australia and New Zealand on August 31, 2010." was just wonderin if this ment it would become unvalid in 2010" also does anyone no of any it tutors in guildford surrey area who could help at all in passing this exam

sorry for all the questions and apologies if any of them are niave
    many thanks to any responses
    rich

2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

The A+ is the best place to start if you have zero experience.

If you take the current A+ the cert will not expire when the new one kicks in, if that were the case we'd all be madder than horses with all the recertifiying

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...
    A+ is absolutely the place to start in IT. I'm curious though, after 6K what did the TP actually teach? Did you get anything out of it?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The A+ does indeed change next year but if you already have it then there is no need to recertify in it.

Some Microsoft and Cisco exams require you to recertify every three years but compTIA doesn't.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. richrolls

richrolls Bit Poster

thanks very much for the responses, i`m decided on doing the a+ to start of with and am currently awaiting to find out if i need to wait for the 2010 training exam study guide to come out which as far as i no is due to come out in feb 2010 if anyone can sugest anything i can do to begin learning relevent material to exam or knows of any coursework/ training guides available before feb 2010 which will would be helpfull please let me no thanx.

didnt (fortunatly) part with 6k to the tp as found this site on the day i was planning on signing up, had i have gone ahead with training in theory in 2 years time i would hold the level of master web site manager amongst many other ciw qualifications and have a job at that level in the industry, although it seems to me to looking at job positions around most employers seem to want people who have experience in da industry and havnt just freshly passed a course with less than 2 years expirience. That along with massive price and realization that it could be done for a lot less led me to attempt home study,

many thanks rich