Hello & Some advice please!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by johnrt, Dec 6, 2007.

1. johnrt

johnrt New Member

Firstly, hello!

A little about me: I'm a retail store manager of 8 years, and have just about reached the top of the tree in my current area of the industry - there doesn't seem to be any opportunity to progress with my current company, and as we are quite unique in what we do, a move to another retailer would mean a step backwards. So a great time to think about something a little bit radical, and maybe a chance to do something which I enjoy - IT.

I have no formal IT qualifications, but have an undergraduate HND qualification. I have built my own PC's from scratch and have good experience of installing hardware and software and generally troubleshooting windows. I've also been tinkering around with Linux (quite successfully) in the past few months too.

I've had a poke around the forums and various web pages, and I'm considering a self taught MCDST qualification to start with.

The most important thing is that I have plenty of time, I have a secure job for the foreseeable future, and can take my time over the training process. My only restriction is that I can't afford a drop in income - currently earning 24k. What sort of level would I need to qualify to to ensure I can at least match my current earnings?

Anyway - that was rather a long post to start with - any other advise that anyone has would be very gratefully received.

Cheers.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Firstly I am sorry to say you will not match your current earnings by starting a career in IT regardless of certification you get. You will be lucky to get 18k.

Second you should start with compTIA A+ the N+ then go for the MCDST they are the standard entry level certs, you can do these by self study, so there is no need to do a course to ontain these certs.

Good luck in whatever you do.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE BS BY COMPUTEACH AND OTHER COMPANIES THAT SAY YOU'LL EARN 30K IF YOU TRAIN WITH US

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What GBL said.

To be honest I think you are looking at £12-15k for your first IT job.

I know most peeps recommend the A+ and Network+ first but going for the MCDST isn’t a bad idea. Always good to have a Microsoft cert on your CV as obviously many companies are using MS products. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome,

Good luck studying for your MCDST

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

As the other guys have mentioned, you probably wont be able to match your current salary when you look for your first IT job.

Depending upon your experience and qualifications, you will most probably be looking at an entry level position, maybe on a helpdesk or similar support role. The salaries for these types of job can range from anything between 12k and 18k when you start out.

I don't doubt that after a 1 - 3 years experience, depending on what your starting salary is and your ability, you could quite easily work your way back up to what you are on now.

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hi & Welcome johnrt

Echoing the above comments, I'm just starting the MCDST cert now after passing my A+ this week, The A+ is a great cert if you've got no real Knowledge of the inner workings of a PC. Everyone knows how windows works but it does take you that little bit further, I'm glad I started with that.

Stick to the recommendations given on this forum, look at entry level certs for the time being.

Ropenfold

:biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  7. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Welcome!

I think that the MCDST is a good goal to have, but I also agree that the A+ and even the N+ would be a good addition. Plus, if you are already pretty knowledgable and confident about the inner workings of a pc, the A+ may be a quick and easy cert to achieve. What ever route you choose to proceede, good luck and have fun!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The others are right... you're likely to take a drop in income switching over to IT. However, you won't stay there forever, and you definitely won't "top out" at 24K. If you can manage to find a way to afford the shortfall for a while, I'd highly recommend it.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Bit Poster

Hi Johnrt :)

I think those guys are right. It is very unusual to be able to earn around 25-30k from the start, but not impossible as I know two mates who did it. You can try as well but nobody can guarantee such outcome. It can be treated in miracle categories by belivers or statistical extreme by nonbelivers.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: confused