hello! passed 70-272 this morning

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by NATARAKIATOY, Sep 21, 2009.

1. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

let met tel a little bit about my self guys sorry am kinda new. am a 2 years computer technician back home! apparently I came here to UK to look an opportunity. been in the uk for 1 year and tried to look an IT job but no luck at all thats why I work part time in Hotel as waiter at the same time self study to be MCSA or MCDST. Luckily this morning I passed 70-272. I sat 70-270 first in august 18, 2009 with score 794 which is not bad, 70-271 september 1 with the score of 1000 and i was really surprised since i had 5 uncertained answer, of course I relly with my experience as well. This morning september 21 I sat 70-272 with score of 894. Now am MCDST already and hope i can start my career in IT with this one. I just want to ask any IT jobs website pls.??

thank you very much in advance.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP,MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow, 1000! What did you use to study?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

Hi BosonMichael,

I used trancsender and microsoft press. i found 070-271 is more easy than 070-272 coz there was load of similar questions from 070-270. I might start to study 070-290, any advice pls coz am just doing self study i have 3 computers in my room anyway for experimenting. thanks

4. BosonMichael

Congrats!

How much and what kind of server administration experience do you have? Do you have the A+ and Network+ yet?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

thank you. seriously I dont have a+ and network+. actually I read a good 70-290 techniques and study guides in server forum. I started to setup my Virtual PC so i dont need 2 or more pc now thank you server forum. my desktop pc has a good specs though comes with core 2duo cpu and 4gb ram. I managed to do 3 virtual machines already, 2 servers and 1 client. i might get my 70-290 books next week. good luck to everyone! thank you very much certfuroms.co.uk

6. BosonMichael

Well, without real-world, business IT server administration experience, the MCSA isn't going to do you any good, even if you were to pass it. The MCSA exams, of which 70-290 is included, are designed for people with 6 months of server admin experience... not 6 months in IT, but 6 months doing server administration... which is not something that you'll likely be allowed to do in your first IT job. As such, entry-level jobs don't have anything do to with server administration and thus have nothing to do with the MCSA.

On the other hand, the A+ and Network+ have everything to do with entry-level tech work. These certifications will make your CV stand out to employers. The MCSA will simply make you look overcertified.

7. Logicum

Logicum Bit Poster

I really appreciate what you say here. Honestly. And I think to a point you are quite correct- *at least* 12 months server experience would be my thoughts on this (and it seems some of the MS Press books say similar things). But it doesn't happen that way, and to be honest I think MS know this and it doesn't bother them. Certification preparation is big business and it's people who want to enter the dreamy world of 'Server Administration' who probably keep it ticking over. A person who wants a job in IT will indeed look for what the market is asking for- MCP, MCDST, MCSA and MCSE (some even go for the CCNA). These are people with no experience - unless you count fixing grannie's computer at home. But they are passing these exams and making their entry into IT with bits of paper that state they can do it.

After some 15 years in IT I have to say these kinds of people aren't the exception either. But then I'm not complaining. If an employer only marks out a person because they have one of these certifications under their belt then they are just as much to blame. What *really*marks out a person is at least five years of experience and some certifications to back that up. In my opinion. But then I have also met people with five years experience (or more) who could teach an MCSE a thing or two.

That's the real world we are in. We don't inhabit a planet in which IT people are well balanced with both the requisite skills *and* certificates to back up that they are competent with those skills to have met a manufacturer's requirements to be known as a 'professional'. Have you read about 18 and 19 year olds being administrators of networks? I have. Have you seen their certifications? Might be worth looking again. And to be honest if MS don't like it offering 50% or whatever discounts to students to become 'certified' isn't going to help the argument any :oops:

No offence intended- just some rambling moans of mine... :p

WIP: Many