Hello, New Member Here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by TheLaptopExpert, Jun 8, 2011.

1. TheLaptopExpert

TheLaptopExpert New Member

Hello to All,
    I have just signed up and am looking forward to viewing the Forum and participating when able.

I am the author of: World's First Complete Guide To Laptop Repair

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  2. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

welcome to CF! i hope you find this place useful.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-680
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

welcome! heres a question! i sent a laptop in the post and got it back(lousy courier) its come back damaged only a 1/4 of the screen works if i tap it the bits that dont work do light up but the image is a bit crazy anythin i can do? theres no cracks or anythin?

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

Ill take a crack at this one. does the entire screen light up but the data is just jarbled up? or is only a portion of the screen actually lit?

if the screen is only half way lit and u can see the data in the background and it looks just fine, then youve either got a faulty LCD inverter or a faulty ccfl lamp. I usually just change both LCD and CCFL lamp when i occur this issue with a customers computer. They are fairly cheap. Have you ruled out the possibility of a bad video card on it? (hook it up to an external monitor, if it works fine on another monitor youve got problems somewhere inside the LCD)

If the screen lights up all the way and the text is all jarbled, check your cables along the hinge. Sometimes the video cables along the hinge will get pinched or cut which will cause a short.If the cables are fine then read on:

If the screen lights up completely and the screen is jarbled, and the cables are not pinched, then youve probably got an issue with the chip on the LCD itself. the chip controls which pixels light up, which color, etc. Only way to replace this chip is usually to just get another LCD panel. Take the LCD apart and make sure that no cables are disconnected and that no cables are pinched, frayed, cut, or touching bare metal, etc.

5. TheLaptopExpert

TheLaptopExpert New Member

It sounds like your Display Cable, You need to unplug and replug back in the display cable at both the screen end and the motherboard end. While doing that, look for any pinched cable wherr it runs through the hinge assembly.

6. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

i agree with that. it sounds like a display cable problem. Ive personally never seen a pinched cable even when im 100% sure its a pinched cable. I own a repair shop and ive seen issues like this many times, and not once has it been the display cable. usually its the LCD inverter or the CCFL. Usually the manu. has tracks for the display cable that prevent the cable from getting kinked. Not saying it cant happen but its usually not likely. Check the display cable first and if that doesnt lead you anywhere continue with the steps i posted above.

Changing the CCFL or the LCD inverter is a pretty scary thing. I would only do it if you have 100% confidence in your soldering skills. You can buy the pre-soldered CCFL lamps but i try to stay away from this. They almost always dont fit which leaves me with an even bigger problem.

best of luck to ya mate!

7. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

the first quarter of the screen(vertically) lights up and its fine. if i tap the lid the rest of the screen lights up but its all garbled! ill try another time

8. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

sounds like theres either a short in the cable that runs around the outside edge of the LCD screen and connects to the chip at the top, OR the entire chip is blown/going out. Only solution really is to replace the entire LCD. Those are expensive. a LCD is about half the value of the laptop. Installing one is a breeze though. Just gotta have confidence.

You could always take off the entire LCD and hook the computer up to another monitor and use is like a desktop computer if you didnt want to spend the money on a new LCD. Check around on ebay for the same laptop as you have. Many people will sell not working computer on ebay just to get rid of them. Swap the LCDS and your good to go.

9. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i got no problems changing it. but i was selling it as its old! i tried to take it the base apart once and as i recall its awful, its a microstar laptop if that helps

10. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

hi, and welcome. wouldnt mind taking a look at that guide

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  11. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

sounds like it might be time to invest in a new one. laptops now a days are getting quite impressive. Thinking about investing in another one myself

12. zoradaly

zoradaly Bit Poster

welcome to CF! i hope you find this place useful. wouldnt mind taking a look at that guide

13. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

Hi, it is awesome that you have written a book, nay, a technical repair manual! Is it an ebook or can I order a copy through my library? Best wishes
    Llew

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: self learning until college starts, networks, basic COMPTIA elements, basic web design