Hello / need advice.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ITwannabe, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ITwannabe

ITwannabe New Member

Hello everyone :D

Great all round advices.

I graduated in 2000 with Bsc in Business&Computing, but since then i only worked in retail with the same company. Don't ask me why i put up with that. It is a long and painful story.
    Anyway, recently our company has been doing lots of upgrade to its systems, so they needed someone to help in 2nd line Tech. Support, and i was chosen for that role.
    Now, i have been doing the job for 3 months, and they extended my contract for another 2 months. The Salary jump is incredible. Almost 2.5 times.
    I have also met the people on 1st line, and i believe i can do the job.
    So, i am planning to apply for 1st line support once i am done.
    To increase my chances i am going to self study for MCP.
    I am 36 years old, and have been in this country 10 years, so my previous job history won't count for much.

My first question would be, how long do you think i need to pass MCP?
    And do you think i have realistic chance to get into IT?

Thanks in advance for replies :)

WIP: 70-270
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

I think you have just as much of chance of getting into IT as someone who is 10 years or more younger then you are. You have the education in computing so I dont see why you cant be qualified. As long as you are persistent then you can achieve the opportunity to work in IT.

To be honest studying for MCP is different for every individual. Some people learn the material faster then others, or some already have the experience in computing so to them its easy, others its hard. It all goes down to how badly you want the certification and what are you willing to do to achieve it.

When you say MCP do you mean the windows XP exam 70-270? if so from my experience I found the exam not so difficult as I already experienced a lot topics that were in the book in real life situations so I didn't spend a lot of time preparing for it.

Good luck with the future studies and the job opportunity.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

You say you have worked in 2nd line - but want a job in 1st line? Normaly 2nd line requires more knowledge and pays better, so why go 1st if you can do 2nd?

You ask 'How long to pass MCP?'. MCP is a generic term applied to many Microsoft certs. Which actual cert are you looking to pass?

If you were chosen to help in 2nd line then they appear to think you have a chance of doing it - so you should as well! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. ITwannabe

ITwannabe New Member

Thank you for your replies :)

I will apply for both 1st, and 2nd line, but realisticly i am expecting 1st line.

It is true that i am doing second line without any previous experience, but i don't think i would have got the job if i wasn't already working for the company. Furthermore, i am not given the more challenging tasks.
    Having said that, within 2 months, i already picked up on most problems, and i can deal with probably 60-70% of problems. Of course it is great help that i worked in the actual stores, so i know first hand what are the problems.

Yes, i am working towards 70-270. I know very well that exams are very individual thing, and depend on many circumstances.

I think i have reasonably good grasp of things, and i can put around 10-15 hours a week towards study.
    On of my friends told me that i can do it within 2-3 months. Does this sound realistic? There must be some estimated average :) , i know you don't want to mislead me, but i promise i won't take you to court if i don't pass within 1 week :p

Thanks in advance :)

WIP: 70-270
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

2-3 months for 70-270 is pretty realistic. Also if you feel like you know some topics in the 70-270 you might take less time to prepare for the exam.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Good luck with the 270, thats on my list after Net+ :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter if you didn't have any previous experience... you're getting that experience NOW.

Yes, everyone is different. Some people require no studying at all... some people need months or years to study. How long will it take you? Until you fully understand the concepts - simple as that. Remember, you're not just studying to pass an exam... you're studying to make yourself a better tech. Study until you fully understand the concepts, then take the exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!