HELLO LONDON!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Fluid, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

hi ladies and gents, well im not going to bore you too much today but just going to introduce myself. Im 18 years old and i will be starting my CCNA course at college as of september, it will cover CCNA1, 2, 3 and 4. Hopefully afterwards im hoping to achive my CCNP!!! I have experiance in computers since i was 14 basic VB and C++ programming, my networking knowledge is not that poor but just need to brush up on it abit. I was thinking of setting up my own Cisco Lab in my room, i already have 1 desktop 2 laptops and 1 mac (dnt ever use the mac anymore). Im just curious on what equipment to purchase? my budget is around £100 maximum really, you all know how cheap and tight us students are :biggrin !! Anyway iv looked at the simulators and there really not for me im a practicle person so id like to see it infront of me so i can play around. What equipment would you recommend? Iv looked through ebay and there are several on there but not sure which ones ill need. Ill be building an old pc with around 1.5ghz not 64 bit and i will be using that as a server, my aim is to be able to setup the following servers before i start my course:

FTP Server
    HTTP Server with SSL support
    IRC Server
    Shell
    Print Server
    File Server
    Intrusion Detection System

going to try and run them all of one PC :P see how it works any advice would be greatley appereciated! THANKS!!!

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! There are a number of Cisco people that im sure can offer you advice :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Mike_W

Mike_W Bit Poster

Welcome to CF!
    Mike

Certifications: A+, DHTI+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Network+, MCSA, MCSE, Server+,
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I'd strongly advise you to work in IT while going through school. Certifications won't get you a higher-level IT job; experience is what will do it, so start building experience as soon as possible (now, preferably).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

I did use to work in a computer shop but now i work for an international company buying Airplane parts :S !!! Its kind of hard to try and find another job in IT due to my age and lack of work experiance and my qualifications! Iv only got my GCSE's with a B in IT, B in Business, C in maths, C in english, CC in science, and couple of others. Im willing to work for as little as 6 quid an hour as long as i get decent experiance can anyone point me in the right direction? Iv been to several agency and they can only find me business/accounts related jobs :S After my CCNA i was thinking of doing my N+, S+ and then have a break and move to CCNP! Do you have to retake the comptia exams every 3 years like the Cisco ones? 8)

9. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Age is no excuse. I know several people well into their 40s and 50s when they started in IT, and they're building solid IT careers.

Certifications alone are not the answer. More certifications won't get you an entry-level IT job.

Once you are certified on a CompTIA certification, you are certified for life.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!