Hello im the new kid

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Skyhigh, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Hi to every reader here im about to start a job as a 1st/2nd line helpdesk support role and i was wondering if anyone could give me an example of a call they may recieve whilst they're at work and if you could just tell me what NOT to do. Im 19 years old and i have N+, A+ 601+602, many city and guilds assignments too. Oh and if somebody could tell me a good forum that they use whilst in their helpdesk job than that would be very appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Ok, what NOT to do....

• Don't be confrontational or condescending.
    • Don't be afraid to ask for help.
    • Don't violate company policy or the law, doesn't matter whose asking.

As for forums you can use, this ones pretty good! :biggrin

Best of luck in the new job!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What not to do:
    - As Josiah mentioned, don't be confrontational with the caller, no matter how confrontational or frustrated they get.
    - Don't blame the caller, even if it IS their fault. Simply give them helpful advice.
    - Don't abuse the phone system to try to manipulate your stats. For example, don't ditch callers (hang up on them unexpectedly) or blindly transfer callers to other help desk agents, even if you see your co-workers doing it. If I could track that sort of behavior back in the early 90s, just think of how much more your supervisors will be able to track!!

This is about as good of an IT forum as you'll find, in my opinion. But not even this forum can match what you can do by learning how to skillfully use Google to search out answers on your own.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!