Hello, I'm new and I have questions!!!

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by HowzItGoinEh, May 4, 2007.

1. HowzItGoinEh

HowzItGoinEh New Member

Howdy all (from Canada),

I just wondered, from those who have taken and passed the Linux+ cert, how you found it?

I have a VERY rudimentary knowledge of Linux systems and would like to take the Linux+ to give me a good working knowledge. Is the course material thorough to the point where this will be acheived for me?

Thanks for the help.

Brandon

Certifications: MCSE (NT 4.0), MCP, A+
    WIP: Network+, Security+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there,

What course material are you using for this cert? how much 'hands on' do you have in configuring Linux in its various roles?

I'd say that the best way to prepare for this cert would definately be to have a good play with linux and maybe buy a book on configuring it in different roles to go with your playing.

I'd also suggest that you take a look at The Linux Tutorial and work your way through their tutorials.

3. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. HowzItGoinEh

HowzItGoinEh New Member

I actually have no material as of yet. I'm trying to avoid buying the wrong material. I have absolutely minimal experience working with Linux. I have played around with a couple different flavours but nothing in-depth.

What version of Linux should I start playing with? (I do have a spare computer to set up as a Linux box) What books or reference materials do you recommend to get started learning it?

Thanks for all the tips.

Certifications: MCSE (NT 4.0), MCP, A+
    WIP: Network+, Security+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Download the CompTIA objectives as Crito suggested and review them to make sure that they are distribution (distro) neutral. You might as well use a distro that's basic, easy to install, and easy to learn.

Fedora Core 6

Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a Debian variant so it will give you experience with working with Debian. Fedora of course, is the free version of Red Hat. I don't think you could go wrong with either distro as a Linux newbie.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none