Hello Guys - Would like some advice please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Jas0n, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Jas0n

Jas0n New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working for a small IT company building, repairing and upgrading computers and laptops. Other duties are providing support to end users and to a few companies we have contracts with (on-site and telephone based). I've been working for this company for a few years now part time while doing my other studies.

I've currently done a lot of schooling geared towards Graphic Design however I would like to go into IT as I believe I'm best suited for it. Here is just a quick list of my most recent qualifications.

FdA Graphic Design

A Levels
    Graphic Design
    Law
    AS Levels
    ICT
    Photography

As you can see the only IT related qualifications I have is an AS Level in ICT and ECDL under my belt. As I have just finished studying for my FdA I would like to gain more IT related qualifications.

Since 2005 I have been a company directer of a UK limited internet based company providing dedicated servers and colocation. Just a few duties of my duties:
    • Building rack mount/ATX styled servers
    • Installing/Maintaining servers in our rack in London
    • Monitoring our servers, switches and colocated equipment via Nagios
    • Providing support to customers
    • Company accounts, maintaining company website etc...

Pretty much everything lol!

Where would be the best place for me to start? I'm not shy of hard work so hit me! :onthePC

Thanks very much for your time,
    Jase

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

HI & welcome to CF:D

A good starting point for you would be the CompTIA A+ certification followed by Network+. Both of these can be achieved using self study methods. The recommended books for the A+ are Mike Meyer's All in One book and James Pyles Technician Street Smarts book.

Hope this helps and good luck with the studying.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

I agree with NB, A+ followed by Net+ would be a good start, it would cement your current knowledge and fill in any gaps. You'll also have a much better idea on what you want to do etc... afterwards. Grab Mike Meyers A+ All in One (6th Edition) and have a read! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

'IT' is rather a broad subject! Do you have any idea of which part you are interested in?

I agree with the others that getting A+ and Network+ under your belt is a good foundation.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said.

Welcome! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Jas0n

Jas0n New Member

Hi again,

Thanks very much for replying.

I've actually just went into the city today and picked up the book that was mentioned. I haven't had a proper look through it as of yet. Does anyone have an idea on how long I should leave it to sit the exam? I.E. How long did it take you guys etc...

I'm also looking at join BCS as an Associate (AMBCS) I believe I'm one year off professional membership status. Is it worth mentioning this on my CV at all?

Thanks again,

Jase

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Don't go by how long others took; just study until you completely understand the concepts. Everyone is different, and has different levels of experience. I was in IT for 5 years and had worked with computers for 23 years before taking the A+, so it took me no time at all to study. Someone who hasn't ever seen a computer before might need more than a year to study.

Also, differences in situation will cause people to take different amounts of time to study. For example, if I'm working a full time job, and have a spouse and kids, I won't have a lot of extra time to study. But if I'm single and unemployed, I could study all day long, if I choose.

So... study until you understand the concepts completely - no more, no less. Then take the exams. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...

Like BosonMichael mentioned, your previous experience, life, and pace of taking in the information will determine how long it will take to study. You might be able to review the material in less than a week (if you have the real-world experience to understand it). On the flip side it could take months if the subject is new or you don’t have study time. :study

10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)