Hello From Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by SQUEXX, May 21, 2012.

1. SQUEXX

SQUEXX New Member

I'm American and have been teaching ESL overseas since 1995. I've lived in Korea, Taiwan, China, Thailand, Japan, Mongolia and now Saudi. I'm a teacher at King Saud University. I've been mooved into a job where I need to get a background in some things like basic web making and using programs like Adobe Captivate. I'm thinking maybe some CIW courses might be a good way to get a background in web applications. I already know Adobe programs. Any advice? Thanks!

WIP: A+, Network+
  2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I think the general consensus is that web certifications aren't as valuable as knowing how to program, and how to write code. Potentially learn how to code, rather than learn how to use Dreamweaver or whatever, as that will be a longer term benefit. Of course if you are teaching Adobe products, then you need to know the products inside out ...

I am British - I used to live in Saudia City in Jeddah!

3. SQUEXX

SQUEXX New Member

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to make a move from ESL grunt to Education Technology. Coming up with training for our LMS, and other teacher training like that. For which, Captivate and Articulate Studio are great programs. But I would definitely like to get some programming skills. I'm going into a job where I can actually study while I work, which rocks.

That's why I was thinking of the CIW series, it does have a track to learn that stuff. I'd rather try to learn thru a structured program than just watching videos on Lynda or VTC.com. Jeddah is a much better city to live in, Riyadh is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any other tracks besides CIW? No one seems to have ever heard of it.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
    WIP: A+, Network+
  4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Welcome!

I'm ex-ESl too. Only worked in Japan before life caught up with me! Good luck with the study.
    Once you've worked on your IT for a bit, look into the CTT+. It's a CompTIA technical training qualification. It can function as a stepping stone toward MS or Adobe certified trainer status - and I'm sure a few other providers recognise it too - you then just need technical knowledge (i.e. the relevant certification and some experience) to back it up.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA