Hello from me to you!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sjf1978, Mar 5, 2008.

1. sjf1978

sjf1978 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm a MCSE:Security, CEH, and CompTIA Security +.... I have a keen passion for IT security and have the future goals of passing my Cisco Security CCSP and CISSP. I work as an IT manager and am currently looking to get work in a more security based role. I've covered the CISSP course self study just need to nail the exam when I get into a company that will support me.

I'm looking to speak to other cisco people, I have completed the Securing Network devices and has given me a taste for cisco. A lot of the concepts cross over from my hacking qualification and was wondering if I could sit that exam before my CCNA??? anyone ideas.....

Anybody wanting help I'll try my best or point them in the right direction

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No idea as to the answer to your question, as I've not taken the CEH. If you've worked with Cisco gear at all, then the CCNA is a great certification to pick up!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I don’t know what the CEH covers, but on the surface I don’t see how the Certified Ethical Hacker program covers all of the materials in the CCNA (or visa versa). I think if you have some Cisco experience and by having some of the background you’ve listed, the contents of the CCNA will be easier to understand. But preparation will still be needed. My opinion anyway :)

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

In my opinion, I guess it really doesn't matter which exam you take first. The CEH and the CCNA are two different certs with different objectives, added to that the CEH is not vendor specfic, while the CCNA is.

Whatever you decide, good luck :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. sjf1978

sjf1978 Bit Poster

Hi Guys thanks for the warm welcome.... perhaps I should of worded my post better. I am already a ceh to answer you wagnet... and I agree. To answer Sunn, I know the CCNA is diff but the cisco SND talks about a lot of concepts... the same as CEH did! if you follow... (agree the CCNA won't) So I would like to shoot down the SND before the CCNA... So I guess I want to know if I can sit the SND which is part of the CCSP before I complete the CCNA as that is a needed cert to become a CCSP... PHeweeee now I feel confused lol... I just wanted to shoot the SND down now as I've finished the course and its fresh in my mind. The reason I have become interested in cisco was the SND which gave me a good insight to the security side with the products they offer.... thanks

12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I could be wrong, but…
    The way I read the CCSP site is that a CCNA is required. I’m not sure how that works though. Do they want your valid credentials at time of booking, or do they let you do the exam and only allow the cert to be valid after passing the CCNA – no idea. Perhaps someone who’s booked exam(s) past the CCNA could answer better.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can certainly take the SND first... but I'd not recommend it. What would be the point, considering you can't get the CCSP until you have the CCNA?

I've passed approximately 60 certification exams... and out of those, I've failed two. One was Oracle Fundamentals I, and that was because I did not have any real-world experience with Oracle. The other was Managing Cisco Network Security (MCNS), which eventually turned into SND... and I've got Cisco experience, AND I had the CCNA and CCNP before taking the MCNS. It's truly no cakewalk, and requires more than a knowledge of security. If you haven't secured Cisco devices, you'll be in for an uphill battle.

If you have secured Cisco devices... then I wish you luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. sjf1978

sjf1978 Bit Poster

mmmm ok I'll take a look at the CCNA and nail that then complete the CCSP

thanks for the advice