Hello Forum u wise old lot! - Part 2

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Vik777, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Vik777

Vik777 New Member

Hey everyone

So I'm new to the forum and need some advice/pointers/opinions on how to become a Web Designer.

I've been reading thru a few of the posts on the forum and have already learnt so much. My background is actually working in DVD QA, so I'm very familiar with multimedia design and aspects of programming/authoring. I've a good eye for design and I'm competent with plenty of programs such as Avid, Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, encoding softwares, etc - but I couldn't write a program or even start to build a website for love nor money!

I've spoken to Computeach - a rep came round yesterday and tried to sell me a Web Designer course for an ENORMOUS amount of money, £5000 +. I don't have this money so thats out the window!

I've also realised that I don't need to pay an extortionate amount of money for training/distance learning when with a great deal of effort, determination and hard work (and guidance from my new forum friends :D ) I can do things myself.

So what is the best route for a beginner? My ultimate aim is to be proficient in Flash, Dreamweaver and the like, even get to the point where I'm a qualified CIW Web Designer/Master. But I dont want to run before I can walk, and I know theres a long hard road ahead to get there.

Do I need to start out learning HTML? What books / online courses are the best for doing this? Can I get certification to prove I have accomplished skills and so it looks good on the CV too.

What else do I need to know? Do I need Microsoft certification for certain things.

I've also looked at CIW courses, but how effective are they and at what stage should I be considering taking them.

Any guides, pointers, help, anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance, and sorry for the long 1st post pals... :biggrin

Cheers,
    Vik

2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hey Vik,

I would suggest reading this post because the advice remains.

Definitely consider a self-study route and if you want to get in to Web design you need a s**t hot portfolio.

Hope this helps, :biggrin

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

If you want to learn Flash and Dreamweaver, I suggest goto you local college or nip down to you local library. They always have books there on Flash and web design.

Also WHS have webdign magazine and books with free demos of Macromedia stuff.

Also Check out this website

Webmonkey

It's got tons of stuff about web design and multimedia
    If you select the Authoring section it shows you how to setup tables on a website, how to HTML and loads of other cool stuff.

Also for Fireworks a add on for Dreamweaver theres this site:-

Firework zone

and DWtutorials

The other sites are under Ultradev, but this advanced stuff so it's probably better you learn the basic before going onto Ultradev.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Vik777

Vik777 New Member

Thanks man, I'll spend some time looking at Webmonkey and will take your advice on books and other stuff too. Cheers!

Keep the replies coming all... :)

Vik

7. Vik777

Vik777 New Member

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I would recommend getting Dreamweaver (trial version) and a book about HTML (O'Reilly is good). Familiarise yourself with HTML and Dreamweaver first then when you have a bit more knowledge you'll see where you want to go.

Once you have the basics under control you'll find yourself in CSS territory in no time.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Vik777

Vik777 New Member

Thanks Nugget, where would I get a Dreamweaver trial version -download from the website?

O'Reilly is presumably the name of the author of the HTML book... whats the book called?

What about HTML 4 for Dummies - any good?

Cheers dude, Vik :)

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

O'Reilly is a well known publisher (but obviously not well-known enough!) of mostly very good computer-related books.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Here's the link to O'Reilly.

Here's one about HTML to get you started but it's very comprehensive. You might also want to get the HTML for dummys as well.

Dreamweaver you can get from the Adobe site as a 30 day trial version.

You might also want to look around some of the more popular download sites like CNet, tucows or file forum. They'll also have some alternatives to dreamweaver.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685