Hello forum members

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by akane1984, Jan 11, 2011.

1. akane1984

akane1984 New Member

Brief bit about myself I am 26 and graduated in 2009 from Queens University in Belfast. I have been in a IT role for a year now as part of the storage/backup support team. I have had a lot of exposure in the past year to NetBackup, VMware, Avamar and Data Domain etc all of which is very new to me (you don't get taught this stuff at Uni sadly).

Outside of work I am engaged and to be married in July 2012, I am about to move into my first home with my fiancee in early February and I enjoy Xbox, playing football and watching movies.

What I am hoping to get out of this forum is some advice from older more experienced members and professionals on where my career development should begin I am very keen to stay in the infrastructure area of IT. So far the only steps I have made to progress my learning is in house training in using NetBackup etc for my job but outside of work I have recently purchased the Michael Meyers CompTia Network+ book and plan to try and complete that certification in the coming months.

thanks,
    Andrew

Certifications: Bsc, HND Computing, AVCE ICT
    WIP: Network+, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Welcome to the forums! There's definitely a lot of valuable information to be had around here! Don't be afraid to ask questions, and keep an open mind. Can you elaborate a little on what your goals are IT wise? Also, congrats on the engagement. I'm still mustering up the courage to ask my special gal to marry me!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  3. akane1984

akane1984 New Member

Thanks Apoc220!

Being that I only graduated in 2009 and have been in my current post a year this month I am still kind of a newborn in the IT world all I really know is that I like the infastructure area. I am currently in a team that supports all net backup activity across different technologies within company so thats including tape backups, VMware and Avamar systems etc.

I see the CompTia network+ as a good starting point to adding to my existing degree and previous academic achievements.

4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi welcome to CF!

Good Luck with the N+. You will get really great information that you seek on these forums, there are a very lot of knowledgeable people here. Also check out http://www.professormessor.com

Regards

Rob :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Network+ is certainly worth doing!

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Welcome

You can join the free live network+ webinars I am running at the moment, we are only two sessions in, getting through the OSI model at the moment. That's a heady rate of two layers per 2 hour session phew!!!

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

8. akane1984

akane1984 New Member

thank you all for the kind welcome messages I am still awaiting delivery of my Network+ book then i'll plan out how I intend to attack this in the coming months!